Ian Paterson joined the Melbourne office of King & Wood Mallesons in 1989, worked in the firm's London office 1991-3 and has been a partner since 1998. He specialises in Banking and Finance, with an emphasis on structured financing, structured capital markets, derivatives, financial sector regulatory issues and payment systems.
He has acted on debt and hybrid capital markets issues in both domestic and international markets for banks, insurers and Australian and foreign corporations and authorities.
Ian is particularly associated with the development of Basel III and LAGIC compliant capital instruments for Australian banks and insurance groups since the introduction of those standards in the wake of the Global Financial Crisis. He is the first port of call for financial institutions clients who seek advice on industry firsts, funding and structuring and how to respond to an ever-shifting regulatory landscape.
Ian is ranked as a leading individual by IFLR, Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and is ranked in Band 1 for Capital Markets by Chambers & Partners. He is praised for his "superb knowledge, responsiveness and innovative solutions" and further recognised as the "go-to guy for domestic and investment banks". Ian has also been named Best Lawyers’ Melbourne "Lawyer of the Year" for Structured Finance (2013 and 2015) Debt Capital Markets “Lawyer of the Year” (2015), Derivatives (2018) and Financial Institutions (2019).
Ian has been a member of the Board of King & Wood Mallesons since 2014.
Show moreShow less
- ANZ - as issuer of AUD1.25 billion Tier 1 convertible preference shares 3 - 2011
- ANZ - as issuer of AUD1.7 billion Tier 1 convertible preference shares 2 - 2009
- NAB - as issuer of AUD500 million Tier 1 stapled securities by private placement - 2009
- NAB - Global Medium Term Note Programme, 2005-2010
- National Capital Investments AUD and Euro Tranches, 2006
- NAB USD800 million Trust Preferred Securities, 2005
- ANZ Euro 400 million Trust Securities, 2004
- Insurance Australia Group AUD550 million Reset Exchangeable Securities, 2004-2009
- ANZ StEPS AUD1 billion, 2003
- Holden V6 engine plant securitised lease financing, 2002.
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Fellow Finsia (F Fin).
- 1989: Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Master of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Melbourne
- 1989: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1991 - 1993: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, London
- 1993 - 1998: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1998 - present: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne.