Emma Lawrence is a partner in the Canberra office of King & Wood Mallesons, where she specialises in Commercial Dispute Resolution and Litigation. Emma is Australian and English law qualified and provides commercially focused and practical solutions for disputes.
Emma acts for the Commonwealth, large corporate clients and financial institutions. She advises on a range of commercial and contractual disputes, risk management issues and alternative dispute resolution, across industries, geographic locations and jurisdictions. Prior to King & Wood Mallesons, Emma spent 7 years in London working with global financial institutions, multi-national corporations and private clients, with an emphasis on large scale disputes.
Emma is a highly experienced practitioner with significant experience in managing large scale disputes and cases involving complex discovery, in a timely, sensitive and cost-effective way. Through her extensive experience in acting for government she has developed a deep understanding of the unique challenges to be navigated when dealing with complex issues of national security and balancing the requirements of various stakeholders, including numerous Commonwealth departments.
Highlights of Emma’s recent experience include:
- Principal solicitor assisting the Royal Commission into National Natural Disasters (also known as the Bushfires Royal Commission):
- Acting for the Commonwealth in multiple class action proceedings arising from environmental contamination at Department of Defence facilities.
- Acting for banking clients in relation to ASIC investigations
- Partner – King & Wood Mallesons – 2020 – present
- Special Counsel – King & Wood Mallesons – 2018 – present
- Senior Associate – King & Wood Mallesons – 2015 – 2018
- Senior Associate – Herbert Smith Freehills (London) 2007 – 2015
- Solicitor – Mallesons Stephen Jacques 2003 – 2007
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University 1998 – 2002