Domenic Gatto is a partner in Mallesons' Melbourne office. He specialises in large scale and complex dispute resolution.
Domenic has a broad practice. Recently, his practice has focussed on clients operating in and servicing the energy and resources sector. Domenic's areas of expertise include contractual disputes and trade practices claims. He practices principally in the Federal and Supreme Courts. He also acts in significant commercial and international arbitrations and expert determinations.
Domenic is regularly retained to act in significant 'bet the company' litigation, providing strategic advice to general counsel, senior management and boards. He has a reputation as an intelligent and determined litigator who is always accessible to clients.
Show moreShow less
- Currently acting in a major international arbitration for an oil and gas joint venture between Australian and Chinese parties concerning contractual disputes with a subcontractor arising out of the termination of a contract for the charter of an offshore oil processing facility.
- Acted for an energy retailer in an expert determination conducted by the Hon Ian Callinan relating to disputes concerning the supply of renewable energy certificates.
- Currently acting for domestic and foreign immunity applicants and defendants in proceedings brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for alleged cartel conduct.
- Acted for a utility company in an arbitration being conducted by the Hon Murray Gleeson relating to the proper construction and termination of a major subcontract.
- Acted for the Australian Submarine Corporation in a series of commercial arbitrations relating to the design and construction of the Collins class submarines (including defect and safety issues).
- Acted for a leading international manufacturing of heavy mining equipment in contractual, safety and product defect related disputes.
- Acted for Cadbury in proceedings for damages caused by cartel conduct in the packaging market in Australia.
- Acted for Telstra in Federal and Supreme Court proceedings in relation to trade practices and contractual claims arising out of Telstra's termination of Crazy John's subcontract.
- Acted for a leading financial institution in relation to a large scale international and multi-jurisdictional fraud.
- Acted for defendants in a variety of cartel, misuse of market power and misleading and deceptive matters involving ACCC investigations and prosecutions.
- 2000: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts.
- 2001: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques - Dispute Resolution Group
- 2005: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques - Dispute Resolution Group
- 2011: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques - Dispute Resolution Group.