Craig Rogers is the Australian Managing Partner, Projects and Real Estate and the Partner in Charge of our Brisbane office. Craig specialises in the development of energy and resources projects, project financing, joint ventures and the acquisition and disposal of energy, resources and infrastructure assets. He has worked extensively across the spectrum of the commodities markets (physical and financial), including natural gas and LNG, oil and oil products, coal and power. Craig also leads the firm’s Projects, Infrastructure, Energy and Resources sector team.
In the LNG sector, Craig has advised extensively in Australia and internationally on all aspects of the LNG chain, including upstream developments, liquefaction and regasification plant ownership, use and operating agreements, equity arrangements, long-term and spot LNG and gas sale and purchase agreements and project financings.
Craig also has significant expertise in the oil, (conventional and unconventional) gas and coal sectors, having acted on numerous greenfield developments, farm-ins and joint ventures, acquisitions and financings in Australia and overseas. Recently, he has been heavily involved in infrastructure projects for the resources sector, including multi-user facilities and user-funded arrangements. Craig has also advised on the development and financing on a number of domestic and international power projects.
Craig also advises on funding solutions for energy and resources sector participants and projects, particularly structured finance (and multiple funding source) techniques, with particular experience in project financing, borrowing base structures, portfolio financings and convertible debt.
Craig is qualified in a number of Australian jurisdictions and in England and Wales and his practice covers both cross-border and domestic projects.
Show moreShow less
Oil, Gas and LNG
- BG/QGC - development of the Queensland Curtis LNG project
- BG/QGC - equity and offtake arrangements with China National Offshore Oil Corporation and Tokyo Gas
- Total - Shtokman LNG and gas project in Russia
- GNL Chile - development of the Quintero Bay LNG project in Chile
- GNL Chile - LNG purchase arrangements
- BP - gas and LNG export facility in Libya
- Various majors LNG sale and purchase agreements
- Horizon Oil - corporate, project and financing arrangements, including its US$80 million convertible bond issue
- BP - US$9bn sale of its olefins, derivatives and refining subsidiary to Ineos
- BNP Paribas - borrowing base acquisition facility for Valkyries Petroleum
- Superannuation fund - acquisition and financing of Gas Valpo, a gas utility in Chile.
Resources and mining
- Chinalco - proposed US$19.5bn strategic alliance with Rio Tinto
- Chinalco - US$21bn financing from China Development Bank, Export-Import Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China and Bank of China
- Chinalco - proposed project financing facility
- Falconbridge/Xstrata - development and financing of the Koniambo nickel mining and smelting project in New Caledonia
- Lenders - Kwale mineral sands project in Kenya
- Kolwezi copper tailings project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Queensland coal mine acquisitions and disposals.
- APA and AGL consortium on the development of the 242MW gas-fired Diamantina power station at Mount Isa, Queensland
- Bidder - Commonwealth's Government Solar Flagships Program
- Banco BPI and Calyon - financing of the acquisition by the Government of Mozambique of a majority stake in the 2075MW Cahora Bassa hydroelectric power station in Mozambique, from the Government of Portugal
- RBS - financing of a portfolio of wind energy assets in Italy and Germany
- Bidder - Trinergy, the owner of a portfolio of European wind energy projects
- BNP Paribas, Calyon and ING - multi-sourced project financing of the AES Maritza East I power project in Bulgaria
- Kipevu II power project in Kenya
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and commercial lenders - restructuring of Maritza East III power project in Bulgaria
- Lenders - financing of the Townsville Power Station.
- Queensland Law Society
- Law Society of England and Wales
- AMPLA - The Resources and Energy Law Association
- Queensland Exploration Council: Education and Research - Finance Working Group.
- 2011 - present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Brisbane
- 2008 - 2010: Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons (previously Mallesons Stephen Jaques), Sydney and Brisbane
- 2004 - 2008: Associate/Managing Associate, Linklaters LLP, London
- 2003: Master of Laws, The University of Queensland
- 2000 to 2003: Articled Clerk/Solicitor, Minter Ellison, Brisbane
- 2000: Bachelor of Laws (Honours), The University of Queensland
- 1997: Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Queensland.