Chris has extensive experience in property and infrastructure development in the public and private sector. This includes major transport infrastructure projects, PPP projects, large scale residential developments, urban redevelopment programs, alliancing contracting, facilities management, joint ventures and advising in relation to government development agreements.
Chris has earned a strong reputation for his dedicated work ethic practising in property and infrastructure development.
Chris has been nominated as one of the world’s best lawyers by Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 in which clients describe him as "a very experienced and highly capable transactional lawyer”.
Show moreShow less
- Moorebank Intermodal Project: Acted for the Department of Finance and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development on the proposed development of the former SME Site at Moorebank in Sydney as a 200 hectare intermodal terminal servicing Port Botany and connecting to the Southern Sydney Freight Line. The project included development of a scoping study, detailed business case, establishing a Government Business Enterprise to carry out the project (Moorebank Intermodal Company), negotiation of a 99 year lease with Moorebank Intermodal Company, land acquisition strategy, planning approvals (EPBC Act and NSW SSD approvals), stakeholder negotiations with NSW (including TfNSW) and probity and process advice.
- Fibre to the Home Network Infrastructure: Commonwealth Government and NBN Co – Advised on the infrastructure aspects of the Scoping Study and the subsequent infrastructure implementation, together with initial development of the infrastructure agreement between NBN Co and Telstra.
- Sydney City Cable Tunnel: Advised Ausgrid on the Sydney City Grid Project which involved the construction of a strategic cable tunnel under the Sydney CBD with numerous stakeholder and interface issues. Part of the project involves the development of the first major substation to be incorporated into a commercial office development, at 33 Bligh Street Sydney.
- Chatswood Transport Interchange Project: Acting for the developer, CRI Australia. The project comprised a $361million complex which includes a new rail station, bus interchange, retail component, car park and three residential towers. The project was a key NSW PPP project linked to the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link.
- Sydney Light Rail Project: Acted for the NSW Department of Transport in relation to the development of the Sydney Light Rail System, including concession arrangements, design and construct arrangements, corridor reservations and easements, and the drafting of the Transport Administration (Light Rail) Amendment Act.
- Sydney Airport Railway: Acted for the NSW Government in relation to the Project Deed and related Stations Agreement, stratum subdivisions, long term lease arrangements, insolvency issues and the continuing operation of the Railway
- Tugun Bypass Project: Acted for the RMS (formerly RTA) on the development of the Tugun Bypass, which linked New South Wales and Queensland under Coolangatta Airport. The transaction included design, construction, maintenance and operation contracts.
- Lawrence Hargraves Drive Development: Acted for the RMS (formerly RTA) on the development of Lawrence Hargraves Drive, including tendering, negotiations and operation of the project, which was major public-private alliance initiative.
- National Towers Project: Acted for AirServices in relation to its National Towers Construction Program, including design and construction arrangements for major Australian Airport Control Towers.
- Intertrade Site Project: Acted for the Hunter Development Corporation in respect of the remediation, sale and redevelopment of the Intertrade site (formerly the Newcastle Steelworks). The work included advice on the process to find a development partner to carry out the necessary works including advising on the contracting strategy, drafting RFP and other process documents for the marketing of the site and drafting contract documents for the delivery of the preferred project.
- Kujika Consortium: Acting for the Kujika Consortium, one of the two shortlisted consortia which bid for the Integrated Metro Operations Contract for the Sydney Metro Project.
- Long Bay Prison and Forensic Hospitals: Member of the team which acted for the NSW Department of Justice on this landmark PPP project sponsored by the NSW Government. Advised on issues around probity and process, procurement, drafted and negotiated concession deeds with the Government, leases and all other documentation.
- Orange and Bathurst Hospitals: Member of the team which acted for NSW Health on the PPPs involving the delivery of new hospitals at Orange and Bathurst and related services at multiple campuses in greater western NSW. The project involved the financing, designing, building and facilities management of new general acute health facilities at Orange, together with refurbishment and facilities management arrangements.
- Civil Place PPP: Acted for Parramatta City Council in relation to the development of Civic Place, a mixed use project involving 170,000m2 of office, residential, retail, car parking and community uses. Work included EOI and tender phases of procurement, negotiation of a project development agreement and related documentation, including builder and financier side deeds and land acquisition agreements and Court challenges to compulsory acquisitions. The projected development value is approximately $1.2 billion.
- Newcastle Mater Hospital PPP: Member of the team which acted for Abigroup Contractors with respect to the Newcastle Mater Hospital PPP Project.
- Newcastle Polyclinic: Acted for the development consortium, Austcorp Group Limited, in relation to this PPP Project involving the development of a polyclinic for the Health Administration Corporation of New South Wales. The project involved the transfer of Government land by HAC to the development consortium by way of a staged development agreement and land transfer contract, together with the development of a purpose built polyclinic to HAC's specification, the commissioning of the polyclinic and the grant of a long term lease by the private consortium to HAC.
- NSW New Schools 1 and NSW New Schools 2: member of the team which acted for the NSW Department of Education and Training in these landmark PPPs of which New Schools 1 was the first project that involved the financing, design, construction and ongoing facilities management of 9 new primary and secondary schools in new urban release areas in Sydney and the central and south coasts.
- Cooks Cove: Acted for the NSW Government in relation to arrangements for the Cooks Cove development parcel Sydney.
- IMAX Redevelopment: Acting for Grocon in relation to the redevelopment of the IMAX Building, including negotiation of arrangements with Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Markham and related stakeholders, title analysis and remediation issues, funding and investment structures and development agreement.
- Barangaroo: Acted for Lend Lease Corporation in relation to Tower 1 of International Towers, including development and investment structures.
- Ryde Civic Centre Redevelopment: Acted for Lend Lease Corporation in relation to the Ryde Civic Centre precinct redevelopment, including negotiation of development agreement, long term lease structures, construction backdown and titling issues.
- Ryde Shopping Centre: Acted for Goldman Sachs and Lend Lease in relation to their combined bid for Ryde Shopping Centre.
- ING Retail Fund Transaction: Acted for ING Retail Fund Australia in respect to the sale of its Australian and New Zealand retail shopping centre portfolio, comprising 14 properties and having a value of $1.5 billion. The project included negotiation and documentation of 14 separate and interlinked sale contracts, an interdependency arrangement and an electronic data room
- Major property acquisition: Acted for the purchaser in relation to the 2013 acquisition of a major Australian office property portfolio valued at approximately $600 million.
- Cooks Cove: Acted for Cooks Cove Development Corporation on the $300 million redevelopment of a 100 hectare site at Cooks Cove in Sydney. The redevelopment involves acquisition and consolidation of land to create a technology park and office buildings.
- KPMG Tenancy, Sydney: Acted for KPMG in relation to the agreement for lease between Lend Lease Corporation and KPMG for 35,000 m2 of premium office space in Building C5 Barangaroo. The project included development of a project brief for passive chilled beam air-conditioning, green utilities and demand based lift systems.
- KPMG Tenancy, Melbourne: Acted for KPMG in relation to the agreement for lease between Walker Corporation and KPMG for 30,000 m2 of premium office space in Collins Square.
- BHP Headquarters, Perth: Acted for BHP Billiton in relation to the agreement for lease between Brookfield Multiplex and BHP Billiton for 65,000m2 of premium office space in Perth.
- World Tower: Acted for Meriton Group in relation to stratum title structuring and stratum subdivision of Meriton's Bondi Station development and World Tower. The project included drafting and negotiating a complex easement documents, staged stratum subdivision together with a building management statement with various stakeholders
- Adelaide GPO Development: Acted for Australia Post in relation to the redevelopment of the landmark Adelaide GPO Building which will include an office tower, retail shops, apartment buildings and possibly a hotel.
- Sydney GPO Development: Acted for Australia Post on the redevelopment of the Sydney GPO, including its sale, 99-year leasehold structure and historic refurbishment. The project included stratum subdivisions, easement documents, strata schemes and strata management statements.
- Melbourne GPO Development: Acted for Australia Post on the redevelopment of the Melbourne GPO site including conducting a detailed analysis of probity and process contract issues and negotiating drafting and arranging for the use of insurance of proceeds to restore the building after catastrophic fire damage.
- Port Macquarie Integrated Development: Acted for Australia Post in developing and creating a model involving a buy-back of stratum lots in a commercial and residential development at Port Macquarie. The matter involved drafting back to back development deeds, contract for the sale of land, Strata Management Statement, s88B instruments, indemnities and insurance provisions minimising the risk to Australia Post which these developments inherently involve.
- ABC Gore Hill: Acted for the Australian Broadcasting Commission in relation to the master planning and disposal of its landmark Gore Hill Television Studios.
- Bachelor of Economics (Hons) – Government & Public Administration – University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Sydney.