Brian specialises in fund and company mergers and acquisitions, structuring, establishment, reorganisation and IPOs in the real estate, infrastructure, agriculture and financial services sectors.
Brian also advises a number of ASX listed clients on governance and corporate head office matters including AGMs, employee share plans, DRPs and annual reports.
For over 25 years Brian has been at the forefront in advising on new structures and developments in the listed and unlisted real estate, infrastructure, agriculture and financial services industries. Brian has advised on a number of “firsts” for ASX listed entities including the first stapled group IPO (Hills Motorway 1994), first listed entity merger by stapling (Mirvac 1999), first listed trust buy-back (Gresham Technology Investment Fund 2004), first ADI Non-Operating Holding Company (Macquarie Group 2007) and the first stapled group capital rebalancing (Australand 2011).
Brian has advised on many signature transactions, including:
- IPOs: Charter Hall Long WALE REIT, Australian Industrial REIT, Stapling of AWPF6 in Industria REIT IPO, Westfield Retail Trust, Macquarie Atlas Road, Multiplex Group, Australand Property Trust, Record Realty, Gresham Technology Investment Fund, BT Sydney Development Trust, Hills Motorway, Macquarie Bank
- Wholesale funds: AMP Capital Diversified Property Fund ($4 billion assets), Australand Wholesale Property Fund No.1-6, Numerous agricultural funds for PSPIB
- Takeovers: Charter Hall consortium acquisition of Charter Hall Office REIT, Frasers bid for Australand, 360 Capital bid for Australian Industrial REIT, Peet bid for CIC Australia, Goodman acquisition of ING Industrial Fund, Stockland bid for GPT, Multiplex bid for Ronin
- Mergers and Demergers: Westfield and Westfield Retail Trust merger and demerger of Scentre Group and Westfield Corporation, Westfield Retail Trust demerger by Westfield, Macquarie Atlas Roads demerger by Macquarie Infrastructure Group, Merger of Wesfarmers and Franked Income Fund
- Stapling transactions: Westfield, Australand, Goodman, Multiplex, Mirvac.
- Capital raisings: Placements, rights issues and hybrid equity issues by Macquarie Group, Westfield, Stockland, Goodman, Australand, Peet
- Private M&A: Numerous agricultural farm acquisitions for PSPIB, Acquisition of Gunns Tasmania Forestry assets by New Forests.
- 1992 - Present: Solicitor, Senior Associate and Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney
- 1994: Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment, Securities Institute of Australia (now FINSIA)
- 1991: Bachelor of Laws degree, University of Sydney
- 1989: Bachelor of Economics degree, University of Sydney