Alan Murray is a partner in our Perth office where he specialises in corporate and resources work, acting principally for oil and gas and mining companies.
His experience includes drafting and advising on sale and purchase agreements, farm-in and joint venture documentation, mining contracts, construction contracts, State Agreements and other resource-related documentation and also dealing with environment, native title and stamp duty issues.
Alan has been named the Best Lawyers' 2013 Perth Mining "Lawyer of the Year". Alan has also been listed as a leading individual for Energy, Mining, Natural Resources and Oil and Gas in Best Lawyers 2012.
Show moreShow less
- Chevron - structuring and project development of the Gorgon LNG Project and the Wheatstone LNG Project including equity sales to Tokyo Gas, Chubu Electric and Osaka Gas and in relation to State Agreement, native title, land tenure, petroleum titles, environmental approvals and compliance issues
- Chevron - transaction whereby Chevron and Shall swapped their interests in the Browse and Clio/Acme fields
- BHP Billiton Iron Ore - strategic acquisition of a number of HWE companies and assets, moving a number of their mines to an owner/operator model
- BHP Billiton Iron Ore - AUD205m acquisition of United Minerals Corporation, including undertaking the due diligence on United Minerals Corporation’s iron ore assets
- Worsley Alumina Pty Ltd - advising as manager of the Worsley bauxite/alumina project, including advising on interaction with the Boddington Gold Mine and acting in relation to its cogeneration arrangements at the Worsley Alumina refinery
- Weld Range Metals Limited - advising on the appeal of a National Native Title Tribunal determination and negotiation of a mining agreement and ILUA
- Buru Energy - advising on a new Parliament-ratified State Agreement in relation to their Canning Basin unconventional oil and gas interests
- ConocoPhillips acquisition of interests in onshore Canning Basin
- BHP Billiton Iron Ore advising on its mining contract arrangements in the Pilbara, including drafting major iron ore mining contracts
- Mitsui - Acting on the sale of an interest in the Tui Project in New Zealand and the acquisition of a 40% interest in the Enfield Project and associated acreage in Australia, including due diligence investigation of FPSO and other project development documentation in each case
- GDF SUEZ - Range of matters including on the acquisition and formation of their JV with Santos to develop and operate a proposed FLNG plant as part of the Bonaparte LNG Project
- Drafting and advising on farmins and farmouts involving onshore and offshore petroleum titles, including farmins to three joint ventures offshore West Africa and to interests offshore New Zealand
- Acting on the sale of a 40% interest in the Boddington Gold Mine and the restructuring and sale of the vendor’s other Australian gold interests.
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (Past National President)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Law Society of WA.
- 1986: Bachelor of Laws, University of WA
- 1987 - 1990: Articled Clerk / Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth
- 1990 - 1993: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, London - working on international mergers, capital raisings and foreign investment law
- 1993 - 1997: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth
- 1998 - 2011: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth
- 2008 - 2011: Board member, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
2012: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Perth
- 2012: Board member, King & Wood Mallesons.