Switched-on domain name lawyers
We understand how important a strong online presence is to our clients. We have extensive experience assisting clients in managing domain names as part of their broader branding strategy.
The online landscape has recently changed with the introduction of new ‘’generic” and “brand” global Top-Level Domain Names (gTLDs). We have been helping clients exploit and protect their brands in this new space.
We have wide-ranging experience in securing and challenging the registration of domain names under ICANN’s Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and the Australian equivalent (auDRP), and defending clients from reverse domain name hijacking attempts.
As a client, you benefit from our relationships with, and participation in, regulatory bodies. In fact, one of our senior partners serves as an expert panellist in domain name ownership disputes for the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
Clients who come to us for legal advice on domain name law include financial services and insurance companies, games sites and app developers, digital agencies, fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies and luxury fashion brands. We have been involved in more than 250 domain name disputes over the past 15 years.
We advise on:
- Domain names as a part of a broader branding strategy
- The availability of domain names
- Registering domain names
- Registering and successfully enforcing trade marks that consist of or contain domain names
- Challenging opportunistic domain name registrations across global and local top-level domains
- Court proceedings regarding domain name ownership or the misleading use of domain names
- Negotiating the acquisition or sale of key domain names and domain name portfolios
- Exploiting and protecting brands within the new gTLDs