19 August 2019

KWM Assists AGL With Western Australian Expansion

King & Wood Mallesons (KWM) has advised AGL Energy Limited (AGL) on its acquisition of 100 per cent of Perth Energy, Western Australia’s third biggest electricity retailer, for up to $93 million. 

Perth Energy retails electricity and gas to business customers in WA and also owns and operates a 120 MW gas-fired peaking power station in Kwinana.

Prior to the acquisition, Perth Energy was 80 per cent owned by Infratil, a New Zealand-listed infrastructure fund, with the remaining 20 per cent belonging to Hoperidge Enterprises and other minority shareholders.

The KWM team advising on the deal was led by Perth-based partner, Tim Edwards, with support from solicitor Lucius Moser. Partner, Richard Snowden and special counsel, Judith Taylor, advised AGL in relation to the tax aspects of the transaction.

Commenting on the transaction, Tim said: “We are pleased to have advised AGL on the strategic acquisition of Perth Energy, which will see AGL increase its already growing presence in the Western Australian market. We look forward to working with AGL towards completion of the transaction.”

The acquisition of Perth Energy is expected to complete in September 2019, subject to the satisfaction of a limited number of conditions precedent.

Media contact

Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    You might also be interested in

    KWM Partner, Scott Farrell, has been appointed by the Australian Government to lead the inquiry into the future direction of the Consumer Data Right.

    29 January 2020

    KWM has risen in the rankings of the world’s best legal brands, jumping two places to 14th in the 2020 Acritas Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index.

    24 January 2020

    KWM has maintained its leading position in the Asia Pacific Legal 500, being recognised as a Tier 1 law firm for 2020 across 20 areas of practice.

    22 January 2020

    KWM is continuing to expand in the US with the appointment of a Dispute Resolution team of 3 partners, 6 senior counsel and 1 paralegal.

    17 January 2020

    You may also be interested in...

    This site uses cookies to enhance your experience and to help us improve the site. Please see our Privacy Policy for further information. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive these cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

    For more information on which cookies we use then please refer to our Cookie Policy.