King & Wood Mallesons’ (KWM) Partner Scott Farrell, has been appointed to the Australian Government’s new fintech expert advisory group, set to drive policy change to grow Australia’s financial technology sector.
Announced by the Government this morning, the panel will be chaired by Westpac Banking Corporation Director and Stone & Chalk Chairman, Craig Dunn.
The 13 members of the advisory group have been drawn from incumbent banks, venture capital firms, fintech start-ups and specialist advisers.
“I am honoured to join the advisory group and look forward to working with fellow members to come together to focus on reforms that propel our fintech sector here in Australia,” said Scott Farrell, Partner, KWM.
Australia’s financial markets and regulatory environment is well known to Scott. He is recognised as Australia’s pre-eminent derivatives and financial markets lawyer and thought-leader by the market he serves, and the regulators he works with.
Also commenting on the appointment, KWM’s Managing Partner, Banking & Finance, Berkeley Cox, said:
“Scott’s appointment is a great credit to him and reflects the material contribution by him and the broader KWM team over a long period, to the development of financial markets infrastructure in this country. A deep understanding of this infrastructure and the many and varied ancillary disciplines is critical for us to fully capitalise on the fantastic opportunities presented by fintech.
We are thrilled to be at the centre of policy development to stimulate and drive innovation in fintech across the Asia Pacific.”
Areas of policy reform the advisory group are set to look at include:
- Financial Advice
- Digital Currencies and Blockhain Technology
- Financial Services Regulatory Sandbox
- Venture Capital
- Open Financial Data.
Members of the new fintech advisory group include:
- Simon Cant, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Reinventure
- Matt Symons, Co-Founder and CEO, Society One
- Jason Yetton, former Group Executive, Retail and Business Banking, Westpac
- Nerida Caesar, CEO and Managing Director, Veda
- Kelly Bayer Rosmarin, Group Executive, Institutional Banking & Markets, Commonwealth Bank
- Ben Heap, Founding Partner, H2 Ventures
- Claire Wivell Plater, Owner, The Fold Legal Pty Ltd
- Asher Tan, Co-Founder and CEO, Coinjar
- Libby Roy, Managing Director, Paypal Australia
- Jost Stollman, Executive Director and CEO, Tyro Payments
- Jonny Wilkinson, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Equitise
- Scott Farrell, Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.