As at July 2020
King & Wood Mallesons’ alumni program, KWM Alumni, is provided by or on behalf of King & Wood Mallesons and its associated entities (KWM). KWM Alumni aims to strengthen our connection with former colleagues and create an international community that cultivates opportunity and growth for all those who are a part of it. It’s your network advantage.
These Terms and Conditions set out the terms and conditions applicable to your membership of and participation in KWM Alumni. By becoming a member of KWM Alumni, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
1 Becoming a member
Eligibility for KWM Alumni membership is at our sole discretion.
In general, membership is available to all former permanent employees or partners of KWM’s Australian centres. This includes both legal and shared services staff, but generally does not include:
- former contractors, consultants or casual employees;
- former employees who did not complete their probation period (for whatever reason);
- former partners or employees who spent less than 3 months’ at KWM;
- partners or employees currently on a leave of absence; and/or
- persons whose employment was terminated (for whatever reason, other than a genuine redundancy).
We may make exceptions to the above on a case-by-case basis. We are not obliged to provide reasons for declining membership.
You can apply to become a member of KWM Alumni by completing the registration form found on the KWM Alumni webpage. In doing so, you must provide accurate, current and complete information. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to validate your registration. If you haven’t been contacted within this time frame, please email [email protected].
1.3 Cancellation, modification and discontinuance
You can cancel your KWM Alumni membership at any time by emailing us at [email protected].
We reserve the right to terminate your KWM Alumni membership without prior notice in our discretion. We are not obliged to provide reasons for cancelling your membership.
2 Member benefits and responsibilities
KWM Alumni aims to provide members with the benefits that come from staying connected and interacting with former colleagues, sharing local and industry knowledge and expanding professional and personal networks. We do this through facilitating various activities and initiatives, including those described in these Terms and Conditions.
In general, participation in these initiatives is open to all members of KWM Alumni. However, access to certain benefits by members presently engaged by persons that may be viewed as marketplace competitors may be restricted.
2.1 Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
We may from time to time invite members to participate in seminars, presentations, webinars, workshops or other events which may attract CPD points.
CPD category classifications given by us are provided as a guide only, based on information available to us at the relevant time. Allocation of CPD points are subject to the CPD requirements in your jurisdiction. We have no obligation to verify whether a CPD event satisfies the requirements in your jurisdiction.
It is your responsibility to maintain a record of your participation in CPD events. Whilst under no obligation to do so, if requested by you we will endeavour to provide you with a record of your participation in a CPD event.
For the avoidance of doubt, clause 4.1 of these Terms and Conditions applies to all materials provided in connection with CPD activities facilitated by us.
2.2 Networking and social events
We may from time to time invite members to networking or other social events held at our offices or offsite. By attending for an event, you agree to comply with any terms and conditions applicable to that event (as notified by us). You agree to conduct yourself appropriately at all times at our events and to treat everyone else at the event with dignity and respect. We may remove you from an event at any time in our sole discretion.
2.3 Social media
We may from time to time invite you to join our social media sites, such as our KWM Alumni LinkedIn group. We may decline, restrict or revoke your participation in our social media pages.
If you use social media tools, you must ensure that your usage of those tools is appropriate, respectful (including with respect to privacy) and does not damage the firm’s reputation, or reflect negatively on KWM, its partners, employees, clients or other KWM Alumni members. Your responsibility extends to any information, comments, postings or photographs that you may publish through a social media site.
You understand that if you identify yourself as a KWM Alumni member on any social media tool, you may be seen as a “representative” of KWM (or someone able to speak about KWM) and everything you post on the site will have the potential to reflect on the firm’s image and reputation as well as your own reputation. If you have chosen to identify yourself as a former partner or staff member of the firm on social media, you should ensure that representation is up-to-date, such as updating your LinkedIn profile that your employment with KWM has ended.
3.1 Privacy Statement
Your membership of, and participation in, KWM Alumni is subject to our Privacy Statement.
3.2 Collection and use of your personal information
We collect personally identifiable information through your registration for and participation in KWM Alumni. Such information may include (but is not limited to) your name, commencement and leave date of employment, KWM office location, information about your current employment, email address and other contact information (including social media information). Some or all of this information may be made available to relevant staff members, service providers and/or other KWM Alumni members.
We use this information to customise the content we deliver as part of KWM Alumni, to connect you with other members and to contact you (by email or other means) about the program, firm news and firm events. Unless you have notified us otherwise, you agree to receive communications from us.
To ensure that your personal information is kept up to date, please notify us of any changes by emailing us at [email protected].
3.3 Video / audio recording and photography
We may from time to time video record, audio record and/or photograph KWM Alumni events. By attending a KWM Alumni event, you acknowledge and agree that we may take photographs, video recordings and audio recordings of you while in attendance.
Unless you have notified us otherwise by contacting our Privacy Officer at [email protected], you acknowledge and agree that we may publish such recordings on social media and/or in promotional and marketing material.
For the avoidance of doibt, we will handle all recordings in accordance with our Privacy Statement.
4 Intellectual property
4.1 Our Content
If we provide you with any materials (including any documents, text, data, software, music, sound, photograph, graphics, video audio and video) (Our Content) as part of your membership in KWM Alumni, unless otherwise agreed by us:
- you agree that we will continue to own the copyright and intellectual property rights in Our Content;
- apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research or as permitted under the Copyright Act, you agree not to reproduce, distribute or copy Our Content in any form or by any means without our prior consent; and
- while we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that Our Content is complete and accurate, you acknowledge that no warranty as to accuracy, reliability or timeliness of Our Content (or information contained therein) is given. We accept no responsibility for loss arising in any way from or in connection with errors or omissions in any information provided by us.
4.2 Your Content
If you provide us with any materials (including any documents, text, data, software, music, sound, photograph, graphics, video audio and video) (Your Content) in connection with your membership in KWM Alumni, unless otherwise agreed by us:
- we agree that you will continue to own the copyright and intellectual property rights in Your Content;
- you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable, assignable right and licence to use Your Content in connection with KWM Alumni and other KWM-related publications;
- we have the right to review and edit Your Content without notice to you prior to any publication or use by us. To avoid doubt, we are under no obligation to publish or use Your Content;
- you are responsible for ensuring that Your Content does not include any content which: (i) is inaccurate, illegal, misleading, out-dated, incomplete or invasive to another person’s privacy or personal information; (ii) infringes or is alleged to infringe upon a third party’s copyright, intellectual property rights or moral rights; (iii) contains unsolicited, undisclosed or unauthorised advertising; and (iv) contains software viruses or any other computer code, file or program designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality or any software or hardware; and
- we accept no responsibility for third party use of Your Content, whether or not it has been retrieved by the third party by our act or omission.
We are not liable for any loss or corruption of Your Content. However, if this is discovered please immediately forward details of such an event to [email protected].
5.1 Changes to these Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to modify these Terms and Conditions from time to time and will notify you of any such amendment by posting the updated terms and conditions to our website. Any changes will take effect from the time of publication.
5.2 Governing law
The law applicable to these Terms and Conditions and KWM Alumni is the law of New South Wales.
5.3 KWM Legal Disclaimer