Tim is a solicitor advocate who specialises in international litigation, regulatory investigations, fraud and asset tracing, and public international law.
He acts for major corporates and financial institutions, sovereign states and parastatals, high net worth individuals and heads of state, with a focus on the following sectors: international trade and financial services, telecoms and media, construction and banking. He is the only QC residing in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
His practice encompasses arbitration, mediation and litigation:
- He regularly sits as an arbitrator and mediator in Dubai, presiding over matters relating to commercial disputes in the region governed by the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and UAE law.
- He has advised on disputes in other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries such as Saudi Arabia.
- He regularly acts as an advocate before both the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) and the Dubai World Tribunal (DWT).
- He has significant experience of the federal laws of the UAE and tribunals in the DIFC courts, as well as the English High Court.
He also has expertise in regulatory investigations, including ones carried out by central banks and financial services regulators in European and Middle Eastern jurisdictions.
He is the founding director of the International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA) programme, which aims to build legal capacity and strengthen the rule of law in Africa through placements with major law firms in the UK.
Show moreShow less
- Multibillion dollar disputes in 2011/2012
- Meydan v Arabtec (racecourse construction)
- MobileTelesystems OJSC v Nomihold (telecoms arbitration and freezing orders)
- VTB v Konstantin Malofiev (telecoms share acquisition and financing and freezing orders)
- WABAG v Tehran Sewerage Company (construction)
- Mashreq Bank v Saad and Al Sanea (banking)
- Nokia Siemens v various (telecoms arbitration)
- Orbit Showtime Network v various (satellite broadcast media).
- Chambers UK describes Tim as “a fantastic lawyer”
- According to Legal 500, he is an “an excellent practitioner at the top of his field”
- Shortlisted for 'Partner of the Year', The Lawyer Awards, 2012.
- International Criminal Court (ICC) and London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) conferences: Nicosia (Cyprus) March 2011, London (UK) April 2009, Accra (Ghana) November 2010
- Kuramo conferences: Lagos (Nigeria) November 2012
- Commonwealth Lawyers Association: Nairobi (Kenya) and Cape Town (South Africa) February 2012.
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association.
Global Arbitration Review March, 2011 (links to paid content).