Areas of Practice
Wu Han specializes in cybersecurity and data compliance, and antitrust and competition law.
His practice in the area of cybersecurity and data compliance mainly includes:
- assisting clients in designing plans for the cross-border transfer of data
- assisting clients in formulating data commercialization compliance plans
- assisting clients in data compliance programs (including personal data protection)
- assisting clients in self-reviewing a company's cybersecurity and data protection practice
- assisting clients in conducting internal trainings of cybersecurity and data compliance
- assisting clients in responding to investigation on cybersecurity
- assisting clients in responding to network security incidents
Mr. Wu has extensive experience in providing cybersecurity and data compliance advice to multinational companies' offices in China in terms of China's compliance requirements. In addition, Mr. Wu is also experienced in constructing data compliance system in line with the regulations in multi-jurisdictions (such as the EU and the US) for Chinese companies operating in foreign countries.
Mr. Wu advised several leading enterprises on cybersecurity and data compliance issues in a wide spectrum of industries, including banking, insurance, finance, mobile Internet, e-commerce, telecommunication, transportation, household chemicals, traditional industry, etc. Representative matters include:
- Assisting the world's leading software system developer in reviewing and revising their global privacy policies to comply with both China's Cybersecurity Law and the EU's General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
- Assisting the world's leading industrial technology provider in carrying out data compliance programs in light of China's Cybersecurity Law and the EU's GDPR, combing the company's data-related practices under the current business model, identifying relevant risks, suggesting corrective actions, and conducting compliance training for employees
- Assisting a domestic well-known mobile Internet company in carrying out data compliance programs in light of China's Cybersecurity Law and the EU's GDPR, conducting due diligence on data processing activities of each business line, identifying the compliance risks involved throughout the life cycle of data, and designing commercially viable compliance programs for customers
- Assisting a domestic well-known payment platform company in conducting compliance analysis on the aggregation, analysis and business development of various internal business lines' data, and contemplating alternatives to mitigate risks
- Assisting a famous Chinese Internet finance company in addressing the issues raised by overseas law enforcement agencies in cross-border mergers and acquisitions by providing legal opinion on data collection and cross-border transmission under Chinese law
- Assisting a global renowned household chemicals company in conducting due diligence on supplier data compliance in its data commercialization projects and providing data compliance consulting services
- Assisting a domestic well-known finance company by providing commercial compliance advice on the commercialization of credit information from the perspective of personal data protection, including compliance analysis on obtaining data from third parties and web crawler applications
Mr. Wu and the KWM cybersecurity and data compliance team have many articles published on domestic and foreign professional journals such as Journal of Cyber Affairs, China Law Review, and Competition Policy International, and also participated in the drafting of Competition Policy in Digital Market. In addition, Mr. Wu and the KWM cybersecurity and data compliance team are also contributors to several international journals and transnational guides, including The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Cybersecurity 2018, The International Comparative Legal Guide: to Data Privacy 2018 , Thomson Reuters Data Privacy Advisor - Bank Secrecy Laws (China) and so on.
The KWM cybersecurity and data compliance team actively participates in the legislating, standards formulation and seminars in the fields of cybersecurity and data protection. With particular interests in the application and regulation of emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and block-chain, KWM cybersecurity and data compliance team is a member of the Big Data Standards Working Group in National Information Technology Standardization Technical Committee, a member of the WG7 Information Security Management Working Group in the National Information Security Standardization Technical Committee, and also a communication member of the National Artificial Intelligence Standardization General Group.
In the antitrust and competition law area, Mr. Wu's practice includes:
- representing clients to obtain antitrust clearance from SAMR
- representing clients in drafting, designing and executing remedy proposals in cases with competition concerns
- providing antitrust and competition compliance advice on business models, distribution arrangements, pricing policies, etc.
- advising clients in antitrust and competition administrative investigations
- assisting clients in antitrust civil lawsuits
Mr. Wu has assisted clients in various industries to obtain antitrust clearance from SAMR and to respond to antitrust investigations. The projects he handled cover the industries of chemical and manufacturing, semiconductor, luxury goods, transportation, hotels, automobile, high-tech, finance, trade, telecom, energy, Internet, etc.
Mr. Wu joined King & Wood Mallesons in 2011. Before that, he had successively worked in a domestic legal firm and a foreign-invested company. Mr. Wu had a one-year working experience in SJ Berwin London Office in 2015.
Mr. Wu obtains his Bachelor's degree of Geographic Information System (GIS) from Wuhan University. Mr. Wu holds both Juris Doctor and Master of Law degree from Peking University.
Mr. Wu is admitted to the PRC bar and his working languages are Chinese and English.