Outbound Chinese investment has grown in both transaction scope and volume due to the national Go Global strategy and will continue to grow in the future
King & Wood Mallesons (KWM) has acted as legal counsel for many large state owned enterprises, private enterprises, and publicly listed companies. KWM also works with funds and financial institutions on overseas investment, financing, and cooperation projects such as FDIs, mergers and acquisitions, and engineering contracting. We also assist clients in the acquisition of overseas resources, technologies, brands, and markets as well as in the implementation of their global strategies.
We have extensive experience in developed markets such as Europe, North America and Australia, countries of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and emerging markets such as Africa and Latin America. With an extensive understanding of the needs of Chinese enterprises, the domestic and international legal and regulatory environment and international business practices, KWM lawyers are able to provide effective solutions for Chinese enterprises to go global. KWM has amassed a wealth of practical experience in dealing with offshore investment and thus has a thorough understanding of potential risks and legal issues. Our project experience covers a wide range of sectors including mineral resources, energy, manufacturing, technology, consumer goods, infrastructure, and services.
Our team is also experienced in organising and managing cross-border transactions. With a global network of offices, we can advise on PRC law, English law, German law, Italian law, EU competition law and Australian law. We have also established close relations with top law firms in a number of countries and regions, which enables us to provide effective solutions and international professional services for our Chinese clients.
Many KWM partners and associates have received their education, practiced law, and worked overseas. As a result, our lawyers are well versed in domestic and international law, policies, regulations, languages, and culture. Our working languages include English, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German, and Italian, which enables us to communicate directly with clients from various regions. We are also proficient in drafting various legal documents in Chinese and English and strive to provide high-quality legal services for our domestic clients making investment overseas.
Our services include
- Advising on the relevant regulatory, approval and filing requirements in the PRC and assist clients in completing the approval or filing procedures;
- Advising on the legal regulatory environment of the target country, the structure and legal risks of overseas investment projects and other legal issues
- Conducting legal due diligence on the target company or target assets to assess and control potential legal risks
- Analysing various investment and financing arrangements and structure and making recommendations on investment structuring
- Drafting, reviewing and revising legal documents in different stages of the transaction, or analysing, reviewing and providing comments on legal documents drafted by the counterparty
- Participating in legal and business negotiations on transactions and advising on negotiation strategies and legal and commercial issues in the negotiation process
- Assisting in project closing and post-completion integration
- Advising on other overseas investment matters at the request of clients