Suzy Madar specialises in intellectual property, commercial and regulatory disputes with a particular focus on technology and healthcare. She has experience working on a broad range of technology, including IT, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, food products, consumer health products, medical devices and industrial inventions.
In particular, she has expertise advising on the regulation, pricing and reimbursement of therapeutic products, compliance with the Australian Consumer Law and public health issues (including in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic). Suzy advises clients on the enforcement of intellectual property rights and defending allegations of infringement, as well as on commercial issues relating to intellectual property.
She represents clients in the Federal Court, Supreme Court and High Court as well as in Patent Office proceedings. Suzy also provides advice in relation to transactions involving the transfer of intellectual property, health care services and pharmaceutical products.
Work highlights include:
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (DAWE): acting in relation to proceedings filed by Gold Coast Marine Aquaculture relating to an outbreak of prawn white spot disease in Australia.
- Confidential Client: acting in relation to a substantial regulatory request to produce documents.
- FMC Corporation: acts for leading agricultural sciences company in relation to the enforcement of patent rights and the regulation of pesticides and veterinary products in Australia.
- Confidential Client: acts for a public department in relation to action taken in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- New Payments Platform: provides patent infringement and validity advice to the New Payments Platform.
- Acts for several clients in relation to therapeutic products used in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 as well as compliance with regulations directed to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acts for MSA 4x4 in relation to patent infringement and validity proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Advises multinational electronics and consumer health care clients in relation to compliance with the Australian Consumer Law (and related disputes).