Sally is a projects partner with 20 years' of experience in managing native title, heritage, tenure, regulatory and environmental aspects of project development, implementation and closure. She works to achieve native title and heritage agreements, ILUAs, tenure, environment and project approvals that enable projects to proceed and succeed in the long term. She is at the forefront of the significant change in practices in indigenous issues arising from the Juukan incident - contractual, regulatory, management and governance.
Sally is focused on achieving long lasting, commercial and socially responsible outcomes for her clients. Sally advises across the full spectrum of issues, acting for both blue-chip and mid cap resources, infrastructure players and government departments. Most recently she's spent a lot of time on indigenous heritage. Clients prize her as a "super-helpful, down-to-earth and really smart straight-talker who can deliver a complex message simply and clearly" and is "willing to take the time to explain an approach which might be different from that usually followed by the client, but which is in that client's best interest." Chambers 2018.
Sally's work highlights include:
- Major mining company: on Aboriginal cultural heritage, native title and environmental issues across their Australian and international assets. Assisting in the review of all aspects of indigenous heritage management, including agreements and agreement making in the aftermath of the Juukan Gorge incident. Advising on modernised approach to working with indigenous groups on heritage and native title matters, including in light of the new legislation proposed in Western Australia.
- Major mining company : advised company on their proposed significant mining and production expansion in South West Western Australia. The advice has spanned a wide range of legal needs, from detailed legal examination of past approval and exemption issues through to strategic advice on liaising with regulators to ensure future approval certainty.
- The Commonwealth Government Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources: advising on two significant projects.
- Member of the Land Access, Environment and Climate Change Committees at the Chamber of Minerals and Energy.
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association.
- Member and Past President of the Western Australian Chapter of the National Environmental Law Association.
- Law Society of Western Australia.
- Member of the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies, Environment Committee.
- Chair, Mining Rehabilitation Advisory Panel under the Mining Rehabilitation Fund Act 2012 (WA).