Roberto Pomares is partner and head of the Corporate and M&A team of King & Wood Mallesons in Spain. A lawyer with more than 25 years of experience, Roberto specialises in national and international corporate transactions. He has advised on all types of corporate matters such as acquisitions, disposals, venture capital investments and divestments, transactions in secondary markets (takeovers and IPOs) and corporate restructurings.
Roberto is one of the most remarkable M&A lawyers in Spain and he is consistently involved in some of the major transactions in the energy sector (renewables, electricity and oil & gas), secondary market and private equity deals.
Some of the clients he has advised include, among others, EDP Energias de Portugal, EDP Renovaveis, Galp, Mapfre, DWS, Finerge, First Sentier Investors, GreenVolt, Alantra, CAPZA, Magnum Industrial Partners, Lion Capital, Hispasat, VINCI and Capital Partners.
Roberto is recommended by the main legal directories including Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, Leaders League and Best Lawyer, highlighting his practical approach as well as his ability to understand the clients' needs and to develop creative solutions. Chambers & Partner says that Roberto “demonstrates an unmatched commitment to the client.” Other recognitions include:
- Ranked Top Energy Lawyer in Spain 2022 by Legal Dealmaker.
- Included in Expansión’s ranking of Top M&A Lawyers by Deal Value in Spain (2020).
- Ranked Top 5 by Mergermarket in the ranking Top M&A Lawyers in Iberia (by deal count) – 2020.
- Ranked as Top 6 in the MergerLinks Top Dealmakers Ranking – Spain 2020.
- Advice to EDP Energias de Portugal and EDP Renováveis on the €2.7 billion acquisition of Viesgo from Macquarie.
- Advice to Galp on the acquisition of the solar photovoltaic business of ACS Group in Spain (2.9 GW). Deal value: €2.2 billion.
- Advice to EDP Enegias de Portugal on the sale of Naturgas (currently Nortegas).
- Advice on the sale of Novenergia Holding Company, S.A. to Total Eren. Deal value: over €1.1 billion.
- Advice to MAPFRE on its strategic alliance with the energy group Iberdrola for the incorporation of a joint venture aimed at the investment in renewable energy projects.
- Advice to DWS Group on its investments and investments in the Spanish energy sector, including Arenales Solar, Saggas and Bahía de Bizkaia Gas.
- Advice to EDP Renováveis on the restructuring of its offshore business and on its agreement with ENGIE to create a co-controlled 50/50 joint-venture focused in fixed and floating offshore wind.
- Advice to CAPZA on its investments in Grupo La Finca; Aercal; IMF Business School; Ivnosys; and Wm Clinics.
- Advice to EDP on the IPO and listing (in Eurolist by Euronext Lisbon) of its Spanish renewable energy subsidiary, EDP Renováveis, S.A.
- Advice to HISPASAT on the €112.5 million acquisition of AXESS Networks.
- Advice to Alantra on several secondary transactions.