Justin Cherrington is the Global Practice Coordinator for Taxation across the King & Wood Mallesons network.
Based in our Hong Kong office, Justin specialises in income tax issues.
He has been closely involved in all manner of tax work including corporate restructures, major acquisitions and international tax issues.
His work specifically includes all aspects of corporate taxation, including the tax consolidation regime, dividend imputation, capital gains tax and capital distributions.
- Telstra in relation to the national broadband network (NBN), as the key strategic advisor on all aspects of Telstra's negotiations with NBN Co. This included preparation of a complex private tax ruling on behalf of Telstra, which is one of the key conditions precedent to the transaction proceeding. 'This deal has been announced at the 2012 ALB Awards as the 'Australian Deal of the Year'.
- Advising a number of leading Energy and Resources organisations in relation to the Minerals Resources Rent Tax ("Mining Tax") implemented in Australia in 2012.
- Gladstone Ports Corporation with the development and funding of a coal export terminal at Golding Point (near Wiggins Island) to be owned and operated by the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal Pty Limited.
- Assisting a multi-national company in relation to a dispute with the ATO regarding group sales arrangements.
- Advising Lion in relation to their acquisition of Little World Beverages.
- Telstra on the tax aspects associated with the divestment of "TelstraClear" to Vodafone New Zealand.
- China Investment Corporation's acquisition of stake in ConnectEast Group and investment into Horizon Roads.
- Telstra in relation to Foxtel's $2.7b scheme of arrangement for the acquisition of all of the shares in Austar United Communications. This is a particularly complex transaction from a tax perspective involving a partnership acquirer and a non-resident majority owner vendor with significant US and Australian tax complexities.
- Echo Entertainment group in their demerger from Tabcorp holdings.
- CPA, Australian Society of CPAs
- Fellow, Taxation Institute of Australia.
- 1990-1993: CPA, Accounting Practice, Perth
- 1991: Bachelor of Commerce degree, University of Western Australia
- 1994-1995: Bachelor of Laws (with Honours), Bond University
- 1994-1995: CPA, Accounting Practice, Gold Coast
- 1996-1997: Articled Clerk, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1997-2001: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 2001- 2006: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 2001: Master of Laws, Unversity of Melbourne
- 2007: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 2012 - present: Partner (Australia) & Global Practice Coordinator, King & Wood Mallesons