Greg Protektor is a Partner in the tax group. Greg is regularly sought out for his expertise on tax issues arising in mergers and acquisitions, financial transactions and property-based deals. Greg supports clients across a wide range of industries including financial lines, insurance, construction, real estate, telecommunications and resources. Greg advises on income tax, GST, employment taxes, stamp duties and other State and Territory taxes nationwide. He also advises on matters involving the taxation of not-for-profits.
Greg has consistently been recognised as a ‘Rising Star’ practitioner by the Legal 500 Australia for Taxation. He is passionate about sharing his knowledge with younger lawyers, resulting in a strong team of dedicated and client-focused lawyers.
- AIG: advised on a range of financial and tax issues in over 25 deals in the past 24 months.
- AMP: advised on the income tax and stamp duty aspects of AMP’s $3 billion sale of AMP Life.
- Australian Red Cross: long-standing advisor to the Australian Red Cross on a range of tax and charity issues, including in relation to its response to the 2019-2020 bushfires.
- BGH Capital: advised on certain tax matters regarding the takeover of Abano Healthcare.
- Bupa: acted for Bupa in its Full Court appeal in Dental Corporation Pty Ltd v Moffet, as well as in its special leave application to the High Court.
- Campbell’s Soup: acted in relation to certain Australian tax aspects of Campbell’s $3.2 billion sale of its international brands division (including the Arnott's business brand).
- Chevron Global Energy Inc: advised on Chevron’s acquisition of the Puma Energy business and its re-entry into the fuels retailing market in Australia.
- Department of Premier and Cabinet (Vic): advised on various tax issues relating to implementation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- GE Capital: acted for GE Capital in connection with the tax aspects of its A$8.2 billion sale of its consumer finance business.
- La Trobe Financial: advised on the tax aspects of the sale of a majority stake in La Trobe Financial Services and La Trobe Financial to Blackstone Private Equity.
- Latitude Financial: advising Latitude on the key tax aspects of its IPO.
- Mercury Capital: acted for Mercury Capital in its acquisition of the Australian and New Zealand business of Bauer Media Group (including Woman’s Day, the Australian Women’s Weekly, Gourmet Traveller and the Pacific Magazine’s business).
- NAB: advised NAB on all tax aspects regarding its $220 million takeover of 86 400.
- REA Group: advised REA Group on the tax aspects of its divestment of key operating entities in Malaysia and Thailand, and its accompanying minority investment in PropertyGuru.
- Regis Aged Care: acted for Regis in its successful appeal in Regis Aged Care Pty Ltd v Commissioner of State Revenue (which concerned Victoria’s land rich provisions).
- Tama Plastic Industry: acted for Tama on its introduction into the Australian market and acquisition of the Tapex Agri business.
- Telstra: advised on the tax aspects of Telstra’s $1.25 billion off-market buy, and its $250 million on-market buy-back.
- Telstra: advised on and negotiated all tax (including stamp duty) aspects of Telstra’s sale of its directories and advertising business to Platinum Equity.
- Tokio Marine HCC: advised on a range of financial and tax issues in over 25 deals in the past 24 months.
- Vicinity: acting for Vicinity in its stamp duty dispute with the Victorian state revenue office regarding its acquisition of the Myer Bourke Street and Emporium properties.