Cate Nagy is a partner in the Dispute Resolution team in our Sydney office where she specialises in intellectual property law, with a particular focus on copyright and trade mark litigation and disputes.
Cate has acted for many leading Australian and international IP owners in enforcement matters involving copyright and trade mark infringement, misleading and deceptive conduct, passing off, misuse of confidential information and misappropriation of domain names. Cate has acted in substantial trials, as well as in applications for preliminary discovery and urgent interlocutory orders, and in Copyright Tribunal proceedings.
In the non-contentious field, Cate also has substantial experience advising clients on strategic copyright and brand protection and enforcement issues, advertising clearances and complaints, and government policy and regulatory issues in the intellectual property field.
Cate is also the chief editor of KWM's acclaimed intellectual property blog, IP Whiteboard.
- Spirits International: Cate is acting for Spirits International, the owner of the STOLICHNAYA vodka trade mark, in complex and long-running Federal Court litigation involving trade mark claims brought by the Russian Federation
- adidas: Cate acted for adidas in trade mark infringement proceedings brought against Pacific Brands Australia in relation to its use of a four-stripe trade mark on footwear, and continues to represent adidas in trade mark enforcement matters in Australia
- LexisNexis / Reed International Books: Cate acted for Reed International Books in successfully defending a copyright infringement claim brought by Fairfax in relation to the reproduction of newspaper headlines
- Moroccanoil: Cate acted for Moroccanoil, Inc in misleading and deceptive conduct/passing off litigation in the Australian Federal Court
- Microsoft Corporation and Business Software Association: Cate has acted for Microsoft and the Business Software Association of Australia in copyright and trade mark infringement cases, including several landmark cases in this area. Cate also provides strategic advice to Microsoft on a range of intellectual property issues
- Other: Cate provides strategic copyright and trade mark advice for a large range of other clients, including eBay, Inc, Amazon Technologies, AMP, Campbell Soup Company / Arnott's, Kimberly-Clark, Ricegrowers Limited, Snack Brands Australia and Telstra.
- Copyright Society of Australia (Management Committee).
- 1997: Bachelor of Thai Studies / Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Australian National University
- 1998: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 2003- July 2014: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques / King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney
- July 2014 - present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney.