Australia’s leading telecommunications law firm
Without telecommunications we would not have been able to continue to live, work and connect with each other in the way that we have during the Covid-19 pandemic. It is critical communications infrastructure, without which the coming Fourth Industrial Revolution would simply grind to a halt.
KWM is the law firm at the heart of the telecommunications sector in Australia. We have been the principal external lawyers for Telstra for over 30 years. We also support a range of other telecommunications clients in Australia and the Asia-Pacific, including telco operators, land-based infrastructure owners, MVNOs, subsea cable operators, and wholesale broadband suppliers.
Our work for these clients has enabled us to develop world class telecommunications depth and expertise that is unmatched in Australia. We have one of the largest teams of telecommunications specialists in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region and for the past decade we have been recognised as Band 1 for Telecommunications by Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
Our capability and experience includes:
- acting on market leading infrastructure transactions on both the buy and sell side, including the rollout of the national broadband network, the sale, acquisition or financing of tower and exchange asset owning businesses, the acquisition and sale of data centre businesses and cable and fibre businesses
- advising on network modernisation and network rollouts, including fibre, mobiles (4G and 5G) and fixed wireless
- undertaking core business work for telco operators, large and small, including enterprise and government customer contracting, supply of international telecoms services in multiple jurisdictions, consumer and small business contracting, procurement, information technology and services, advertising, sponsorship, marketing, and dealer arrangements
- advising on new technologies, products and businesses, including AI, IOT, autonomous vehicles, edge computing, media and content streaming, health, and energy
- advising on telecommunications regulatory issues and investigations, including regulatory reform, regulatory compliance, carrier licensing, data protection and privacy, cybersecurity, and law enforcement interception and assistance
- advising on wholesale arrangements and disputes, including the nbn WBA, interconnection and wholesale access, facilities access, and MVNO arrangements
- acting on competition and antitrust enquiries, investigations and disputes, including in relation to roaming, competitor advertising, consumer protection and compliance with the Telecommunications Consumer Protections Code
- advising on spectrum regulation including 4G and 5G spectrum auctions and strategy, spectrum trading and spectrum licensing
- acting on satellite access, capacity, licensing and earth station arrangements
- advising on International submarine cable construction, consortium and capacity agreements and associated licensing and regulatory arrangements