Digitalisation and technology are reshaping the world. Businesses need to understand, adopt, and leverage digitalisation and new technologies to survive, compete and thrive in a competitive and complex environment. Government and regulators need to support and incentivise the adoption of new technologies to create growth while understanding and mitigating the new threats that arise from them.
KWM’s leading technology and digital TechLaw team brings market leading legal expertise, commercial acumen and a problem-solving mindset to help clients achieve their business objectives. We have one of the largest and deepest technology teams in Australia that has been consistently ranked as Tier 1 for IT by Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
Our TechLaw team works closely with clients that include:
- the world’s largest global tech and cloud companies as well as Australia’s leading tech companies and research institutions and Universities
- Australia’s leading banks and financial institutions, ASX listed corporates, infrastructure operators, fintechs and start-ups
- the Commonwealth, State and Territory governments and statutory authorities.
We are passionate about new technologies and are thought leaders in this space with our Data and Technology hub that contains deep content on topics that include Big Data, the Data Economy, AI, the Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud Services, and COVID-19. We collaborate closely with colleagues in other practice areas to provide clients with seamless, holistic and insightful guidance that takes into account perspectives and considerations relevant to key stakeholders.
Our capability and experience in the technology sector include:
- all things data related, including advising government and government authorities on improving data sharing in energy and health, working with our banking colleagues on the rollout of the consumer data right in banking, as well as on the extension of the consumer data right to the energy, telecommunications, and insurance sectors
- advising on privacy and cyber security regulation and incidents, including incident investigation and mitigation, mandatory data breach reporting, ransomware incidents, regulatory investigations from the OAIC and the ACMA, and making regulatory submissions on enquiries, new legislation and regulation
- advising on cloud and cloud related issues in Australia and the Asia Pacific, including acting for the world’s leading cloud services providers, advising on cloud migrations and on the acquisition and sale of data centre businesses
- advising social media and e-commerce platforms, including acting for the world’s leading social media platforms on privacy, product and general terms and conditions, product development and regulatory risk
- advising on new technologies, products, and businesses, including AI, IOT, autonomous vehicles, edge computing, media and content streaming, health, and energy
- advising on digital and IT transformation projects, digitalisation, migration to SAAS platforms, agile development and delivery projects as well as innovative risk sharing and outcome based contracting mechanisms
- IT and business process outsourcing, multi-sourcing and strategic sourcing strategies and projects
- working with our M&A colleagues on investment in, or acquisitions or disposals of tech companies and on the complex technology, data and IP separation aspects of M&A transactions
- acting on IP or brand commercialisation, IP and brand sharing, IP research arrangements, collaborative research and development arrangements, and IP and technology licensing and joint ventures, including advising Australia’s leading research organisations and Universities
- acting on the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccines in Australia, including advising on vaccine and ancillary product acquisition and manufacturing, domestic and international logistics and vaccine distribution (while maintaining cold-chain), and vaccine administration