Making the most of opportunities in media
The media and entertainment environment is evolving at a relentless pace. Digital technology and globalised content are helping to create a vibrant and disruptive marketplace full of opportunities.
Integrated and effective, our international team of media lawyers has a long and successful history of working with major industry names and start-ups alike. Our focus on our clients' goals covers the full spectrum of media transactions and commercial activities including content development.
In-depth media expertise
As a client you benefit from our expertise in new media, social media and gaming as well as in competition, consumer and regulatory issues. You also get lawyers who are experienced in the law on advertising, promotions and marketing as well as in consumer and competition law.
We advise on some of the world’s largest cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions, which means you benefit from our deep industry knowledge combined with commerciality and technical legal skill. We put you in the right place to gain maximum competitive advantage and to manage risk effectively.
Our law firm advises media companies, content developers, film studios, publishing houses, intellectual property (IP) owners, data and information providers and advertisers on:
- Public and private mergers and acquisitions
- Major corporate restructurings, including demergers
- Financing media acquisitions
- PRC inbound and outbound investments
- Exit strategies including management and leveraged buyouts
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Branding protection, from clearance and prosecution through to oppositions and disputes
- Competition and regulatory issues, including responding to regulators and cross-media ownership
- Social media and digital media issues
- All aspects of publication, marketing and advertising law including comparative advertising, liability of publishers, spam, misleading and deceptive conduct litigation, and claims substantiation
- The laws, policies and practices of the various standards boards and supervisory bodies
- Broadcasting, content rights and syndication arrangements
- Live events, reality television and sports and event sponsorship
- Film, television and video game production agreements
- Ambassador and talent agreements for celebrity talent
- Merchandising and promotions
- Digital and on-line distribution
- Privacy and data security issues
Work highlights include advising:
- Appointed IP advisor and advising Netflix Asia on advertising, marketing, program classification and media content
- Fairfax’s merger with Nine Entertainment Co. Holdings Limited, one of the largest media M&A transactions in recent years
- Advise investors in media companies on the application of the application of the cross-media ownership rules in the Broadcasting Services Act to their investments and liaising with the ACMA and the ACCC
- Representing Facebook in the ACCC’s Digital Platforms Inquiry and a number of consumer protection investigations following on from the Inquiry, as well as the current consultation on a mandatory bargaining code between digital platforms and news media publishers
- QMS Media on Submission to ACCC on proposed APN Outdoor Group Limited and oOh!media Limited