Shaping law and practice that drives fast paced innovation
We partner with leading manufacturers of some of the most technologically advanced medical devices, supporting their research and assisting in achieving their commercial goals.
Our team has extensive experience in business acquisitions, partnering, joint ventures and commercialisation arrangements for medical device companies. We assist clients to manage regulatory issues that arise, and regularly deal with regulatory bodies such as the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
We also conduct litigation and resolve a range of disputes, including patent litigation in the medical device field.
Our experience acting for some of the world’s leading life sciences and industrial companies can be leveraged to assist you with navigating the medical devices industry and the technology that surrounds it.
Our advice includes:
- Patent and other intellectual property litigation
- Regulatory law
- Competition and anti-trust issues
- Licensing, commercialisation and supply arrangements
- Commercial dispute resolution (including product liability, competition and regulatory litigation)
- Marketing and advertising issues
- Brand clearance, protection, exploitation and enforcement
- Corporate advice (including fund formation, capital raising, corporate structures, joint ventures, tax, mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and de-mergers)
- Finance, advising both lenders and borrowers.
Recent medical devices experience
- Confidential client: advising a multi-national manufacturer of medical devices in relation to investigation by AHPRA into alleged breaches of the Heath Practitioner Regulation National Law, including responding to notice to produce documents and issues relating to privacy law.
- Humanwell: advising on health regulatory aspects of the acquisition of Ansell’s sexual wellness business (involving medical device registrations in numerous jurisdictions).
- 3DMeditech: advising on aspects of the establishment of its business in Australia as a manufacturer of prostheses by 3D printing.
- Fisher & Paykel Healthcare: advising on a patent dispute with ResMed concerning sleep apnoea devices.
- Qscan Group: advising on its sale to a consortium comprising Infratil Limited and Morrison & Co. Qscan Radiology Clinics is a comprehensive Diagnostic Medical Imaging & Interventional practice.
- Pulmonx Corporation: advising in relation to the regulation of medical devices and clinical trials in Australia.
- Surgical Realities: advising on licensing agreements, privacy issues and the regulation of implantable medical technology.
- CSIRO: advised on arrangements with a CRC relating to the commercialisation of various ophthalmic technologies, and with a public company relating to the commercialisation of DNA Directed RNA interference, a breakthrough gene silencing technology.
- Telesso Technologies: advising in relation to maintaining ASX listing and in relation to joint venture investment with private U.S. medical devices company.