At the forefront of pension and superannuation law
With a raft of new developments sweeping the superannuation industry in Australia, and critical changes being made to long-standing judicial and tax office guidance, our tax team regularly acts on industry firsts. This enables us to offer you unique insights and help you navigate the complex web of issues, regulations and risks that may arise in a superannuation context, including in relation to COVID-19 regulatory changes.
As a client, you will benefit from our depth of resources, international reach and ability to draw together all relevant areas of expertise, including financial services, tax and employment.
Our team, “highly regarded in the superannuation space” (Chambers and Partners), covers all sectors of the pensions and superannuation industry. Our clients include trustees of retail, industry and corporate funds as well as sponsoring employers, custodians, investment managers, life insurance companies and advisory intermediaries.
We have particular expertise in defined benefit and public sector funds. Our team also assists clients in navigating and understanding their superannuation guarantee contribution obligations – a growing regulatory area that is being strongly monitored by tax and other governing bodies.
How we can help you
Our superannuation expertise includes:
- Advising trustees on all aspects of fund governance
- Advising employers on all aspects of superannuation compliance (particularly in relation to contractors)
- Advising trustees on all taxation issues
- Liaising with the Australian Taxation Office – including mediation and other avenues to resolve compliance issues
- Advising on the tax aspects relating to fund transfers and mergers
- Acting on disputes and regulatory investigations and enquiries.
Recent examples of our work
- Bupa Dental Corporation – acted for Bupa Dental Corporation in its Full Federal Court appeal and special leave application to the High Court concerning the application of common law employee/contractor superannuation obligations.
- Aware Super – advising on Australian income tax issues associated with mergers with the StatePlus Retirement Fund, VicSuper and WA Super.
- Confidential client - advising on a range of complex employment tax (including superannuation) matters and associated remediation obligations.