We’ll help you stay one step ahead
More than twenty years on from the introduction of GST in Australia, stamp duty and other state-based taxes remain as relevant as ever.
Although different stamp duty rules exist in each Australian state and territory, our team routinely advises on transactions Australia-wide and have a breadth of experience which spans from advising on routine queries to advising major Australian and multi-national clients on some of their most significant and novel transactions.
Working as part of an integrated team, our stamp duty and GST experts work across the full spectrum of transactions including due diligence, structuring, real estate transactions and corporate M&A.
We offer full-service market leading indirect tax advisory expertise, directed at helping taxpayers optimise efficiency and reduce risk.
This is packaged with dispute resolution capability, allowing you respond quickly and minimise your risk of exposure to additional interest, penalties and charges, and litigation.
Our expertise covers:
- Stamp duty
- Goods and Services Tax (“GST”)
- Land taxPayroll tax
- Cross border trade issues
- Customs and Excise taxation
Extensive experience in indirect taxation
KWM are the go-to stamp duty and GST advisers for a wide range of major corporations and we are proud of our track record.
Recent examples of our stamp duty work include:
- Brookfield – stamp duty advisors on its $4.4billion bid for Healthscope by way of simultaneous scheme of arrangement and takeover offer
- Telstra – advised on its $2.8 million sale of a 49% interest in Telstra InfraCo Towers, the largest mobile tower infrastructure provider in Australia
- Scentre – advising on the stamp duty implications of the sale of the office towers above the Sydney CBD Westfield by way of 299 year lease to Blackstone for $1.52 billion
- Dexus – advising on various stamp duty matters including on the stamp duty implications of its acquisition from QIC of 80 Collins Street in Melbourne for a total acquisition cost of $1.476 billion
- Major Real Estate Company – acting for a major real estate company on a significant stamp duty dispute.