Tax laws in Australia are evolving at an exceptional pace, and it is important that your organisation stays ahead of the curve to minimise risk and maximise opportunity. Our market-leading tax team has deep experience in advising on aspects of corporate tax law and can cut through the complexity while ensuring you are fully compliant with all legislation.
Whether you’re a public or private corporate group, a private equity backed company, a private equity fund or a hedge fund, with KWM you will have access to a first-class legal partner that can support you across the full corporate life-cycle and reduce the need to deal with multiple firms.
We have built the knowledge and resources to become the cross-border merger and acquisition (M&A) structuring experts for Asia – offering both bespoke solutions and tried, tested and streamlined ways to efficiently facilitate your income or capital flow and minimise your tax costs.
Holistic and integrated advice
As a full-service law firm, we are able to take a holistic approach when providing corporate tax advice. Our tax and structuring teams work closely with other practice areas and bridge the gap between tax considerations and legal documentation. This means you will benefit from our premium advice that is fully informed by the other legal and regulatory considerations.
Driving efficiencies and reducing risk
You need a partner who understands the importance of the commercial order of legal work for your transaction. For an M&A deal, this might mean us delivering tax and structuring inputs first, before the legal ‘heavy lifting’ and document drafting starts.
Our advice on corporate tax law includes:
- Initial public offerings
- Secondary offerings
- Joint ventures
- Corporate reorganisations.
A strong track record
Major corporations trust us with their most significant and complex tax work and we are extremely proud of our track record. Recent examples of our corporate tax work include:
- Telstra: advising on their ‘Telstra2022 strategy’.
- Chevron: advised Chevron on its acquisition of the Puma Energy business.
- AGL: adviser to AGL on their purchase of Perth Energy.
- AMP Capital: advised on its A$880 million acquisition of a 50% interest in Macarthur Wind Farm, the largest wind farm in the southern hemisphere.
- Brookfield Capital Securities: advising Brookfield on the subscription by Swiss Re of a 49.9% interest in the trusts who hold the property at 50 & 60 Carrington Street, Sydney.
- Brookfield Private Equity: advising on numerous matters including tax and structuring aspects of the A$5.7 billion acquisition of Healthscope
- Latitude: on various taxation aspects of their proposed IPO together with KWM’s corporate and banking teams.