International arbitration continues to be a leading choice for cross-border dispute resolution, with record-breaking caseloads in recent years. It is an ideal method for resolving international investment and commercial disputes involving businesses, states and high-net-worth individuals. It brings the power to enforce contracts and protect investments across borders, balancing due process with the need for flexibility, privacy and efficiency.
Clients from all sectors and for all manner of cases ranging from large construction, energy and commodities disputes to intellectual property, environmental and human rights matters rely on the commercial understanding and international reach of our experienced international arbitration lawyers to resolve the most challenging international disputes. Our advice includes everything from advising on arbitration clauses and arbitration agreements in cross-border deals, conducting institutional and ad hoc proceedings, to enforcing awards throughout the world.
We have a team of more than 50 partners worldwide with expertise in international and investment arbitration and disputes, meaning we have in-depth familiarity with the rules and proceedings of all the principal forums. We can (and frequently do) mobilise teams quickly to assist anywhere in the world.
Knowledge combined with experience in International Arbitration
The right outcome for you is always our priority. This is why our deep knowledge of a broad range of industry sectors – from financial institutions to energy and infrastructure – is so vital.
Our international arbitration expertise, together with our experience across the full range of alternative dispute resolution options, combines to focus on helping clients to achieve cost-effective, innovative and commercially minded dispute resolution. Our team is at the forefront of developments in the international arbitration arena, devising strategies that utilise new, unique, or unusual facets of the law.
We have wide-ranging experience in:
- Acting in arbitrations as counsel or arbitrator pursuant to various rules, including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC),The Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (SCIA), the Shanghai Court of International Arbitration (SHIA), the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Centre (CIETAC), Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA) and the Dubai International Financial Centre’s (DIFC) joint venture with the LCIA
- Conducting our own advocacy (without Counsel involvement) to reduce costs and improve budget certainty and alternatively working in partnership with Counsel where our clients prefer to retain them
- Obtaining freezing orders and other emergency court relief in aid of arbitrations around the world
- Enforcing arbitral awards including strategy development for enforcement and asset-tracing
- Drafting complex dispute resolution provisions and arbitration clauses for use in cross-border agreements, selecting and appointing arbitrators or institutions and identifying where arbitrations should take place
- Advising and representing States and investors in relation to investment claims, including in investment arbitration under international investment agreements such as bilateral investment treaties (BITs). In this respect, we have substantial experience before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) domain name arbitrations and China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission arbitrations
- Collaborating as co-counsel with leading international arbitration practices in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.
Our international arbitration lawyers have developed a reputation for delivering efficient outcomes, innovative commercial solutions and strong amicable negotiations.
- Vietnamese mining company, in successful arbitration proceedings against an Australia engineering company (SIAC Rules, Singapore seat), and acting in follow-on enforcement proceedings of the A$132 award in the Federal Court of Australia and simultaneously defending set aside proceedings in the High Court of Singapore.
- Global construction company, in successful A$300 million arbitration proceedings relating to alleged defects at an A$1.8 billion public health facility in Australia (ACICA Rules, Australia seat).
- Chinese engineering contractor, in successful proceedings against a Hong Kong entity in a dispute relating to an agency agreement regarding the construction of a US$2 billion major clean energy plant in Dubai (SIAC Rules, Singapore seat).
- Chinese client, in A$100 million arbitration proceedings against an Australian entity arising from an e-commerce dispute (ICC Rules, Hong Kong seat).
- Global engineering company, in AU$2 billion arbitration proceedings regarding a combined cycle power plant at a large resources project in Australia (ICC Rules, Singapore seat).
- Tethyan Copper Company Pty Limited, in the enforcement of a US$6 billion ICSID award against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Kyrgyz Republic: acting in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings in relation to a US$100 million plus claim by Canadian mining company CenterraGold arising from environmental fees and penalties.
- Ranked Tier 1 – Legal 500, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2021
- Australian Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific Awards, 2021
- International Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific Awards, 2021
- Dispute Resolution Firm of the Year, Asia Legal Awards, Asia Pacific, 2021