Our IP team provides deep technical capability combined with a commercial focus. We leverage our commercial and litigation skills and experience working with some of the world’s largest intellectual property owners to develop innovative approaches to patent disputes and to assist clients to maximise their commercial opportunities.
Our technically excellent patent advice puts clients in strong negotiating positions to manage risk and pursue business critical opportunities. We also assist clients to protect their confidential information and preserve its value. When necessary, we take swift and effective action against breach of confidentiality obligations to protect trade secrets and other commercially critical information.
As the market becomes increasingly global, we draw on our direct presence on the ground and strong local knowledge in the Asia Pacific, Europe and North America to provide multi-jurisdictional advice and cross-border collaborative teams to achieve client goals.
Broad experience across sectors
Our clients rely on us to protect business critical IP and trade secrets and to manage risk across a range of industries and technology – including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, biotechnology, industrial inventions, IT, chemicals, financial services, manufacturing, mining and consumer products.
Our expertise in action
- Samsung Bioepis: acting in a patent dispute against Fresenius Kabi regarding formulations for a biosimilar adalimumab product.
- The University of Sydney: acting in relation to the successful Federal Court litigation with ObjectiVision and allegations of patent infringement, misuse of confidential information in computer source code and breaches of a patent licence and shareholders agreement. This matter involves claims of copyright infringement and trade secrets misuse in computer source code and breaches of a patent licence and shareholders agreement.
- Arrow: successfully representing in proceedings concerning a patent for white LEDs.
- QUT: providing advice in relation to its potential exposure to litigation and in relation to agreements with its licensee and sublicensee of a patent for a device used in measuring knee flexion.
- Mylan, Aspen and Apotex: acting in relation to the validity, infringement and extension of term of a patent (as well as an extension of time in which to apply for an extension of term) relating to a drug used in the treatment of depression.
- The Star: advising on patent issues relevant to its business, as well as confidential information and designs.
- CSIRO: acting in a patent opposition and appeal against BASF Plant Science relating to transgenic plants used to make omega-3 fatty acids.
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property – Legal 500
- Ranked Tier 2 Intellectual Property – Chambers and Partners
- Ranked Gold Intellectual Property Litigation – IAM Patent
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property Trademark contentious & Patent contentious – IP Stars