Our intellectual property (IP) team are recognised as the “go-to” team for IP commercialisation and licensing in Australia. We bring a broad commercial and strategic perspective to your intellectual property commercialisation and licensing issues.
We are regularly engaged by our clients to advise on the most complex, high profile, high-value and game-changing IP deals, as well as portfolio analysis, restructuring, licensing and commercialisation arrangements.
Our IP team is the trusted advisor to some of the world’s top tier global companies from a range of industries and sectors including telecommunications, energy & resources, consumer products, food and agribusiness, transport, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical, engineering, mining, financial services, IT and electronics. In addition, we are a leading advisor to universities, research institutions and governments, where we develop close relationships and spend time understanding their strategies, opportunities and challenges. Finally, our work on many private equity-lead deals demonstrates the equity inherent in IP-intensive organisations and the value placed on strong brands and technology.
Working with our law firm also provides access to a cohesive multinational practice, with cross-border collaboration on deals from our presence on the ground, strong local knowledge and relationships in Australia, China, the USA, UK and Europe.
Our expertise in action
- CSIRO: advising on numerous spin offs (including FutureFeed, Digital Agriculture, Amfora, Cardihab, Tiro), R&D projects and IP transactions relating to food production, agriculture, low emissions coal, renewable energies, ICT, preventative health, mining and metals over the last 16 years.
- The University of Sydney: long term advisor for over 15 years on numerous IP transactions, research and trade mark matters, including licence disputes, CRCs, clinical trial agreements, ARC Linkage agreements, numerous patent licences, research alliances and spin off company exits and preparing and updating all of the IP commercialisation precedents.
- Silicon Quantum Computing (SQC): after advising the Commonwealth on establishing SQC in 2017, we continue to advise SQC over IP strategy, major R & D projects and several other confidential commercialisation and R & D projects.
- Cornish Lithium: advising on an exclusive licence for key processing technology from ASX-listed listed Lepidico Ltd to allow development of the low-carbon extraction of lithium from zinnwaldite and polylithionite mica ores in the UK.
- Two of Australia’s leading rural development corporations: advising on the revamp of each of their approaches to funding research and development in Australia.
- Leading research university: advising on developing a new suite of template documents in the research and commercialisation space and on many different research and commercialisation projects.
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property – Legal 500
- Ranked Tier 2 Intellectual Property - Chambers and Partners
- Ranked Highly Recommended (top tier) in IAM Transactions – IAM Patent
- Ranked one of the World’s Leading IP Strategists and IAM Global Leaders in patent practice
- Ranked Tier 1, IP transactions – IP Stars