Our IP team has unmatched expertise advising on registered design clearance, registration and enforcement. Australian designs law is notoriously technical, particularly when contentious, and few law firms are able to demonstrate practical and ongoing experience in this niche area of intellectual property law.
Our lawyers are entrusted to provide critical validity and infringement advice for some of the world’s most recognised brands, including an enviable list of global and Australian companies, across many sectors of business: consumer products, food and beverage, automotive, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, engineering, and electronics. The team is also known for its strategic approach to litigation and the resolution of disputes.
Clients regularly engage King & Wood Mallesons' IP team to provide top tier design protection and enforcement advice. We continually demonstrate highly specialised and technical skills in design law in Australia which complements the depth of the IP practice and our experience working with complex emerging technologies and products.
Depth of experience
- Advising on product clearance, including design infringement risk and prospects of design registration
- Acting in legal proceedings and other disputes involving claims of design infringement, including in relation to the design of coffee plungers and other coffee products, ceiling fans, bottle design and medical devices
- Prosecution of design registrations
- Design clearances
- Advice on commercialisation and licensing.
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property – Legal 500
- Ranked Tier 2 Intellectual Property - Chambers and Partners