As one of Australia’s leading copyright practices, our IP team operates at the absolute forefront of Australian copyright law. Our team draws on commercial insights, industry understanding and deep expertise to protect and enforce our clients’ copyright and to defend against claims of copyright infringement.
Engaged by our clients to run many of the leading Australian copyright proceedings in the last decade, our team has significant experience dealing with the complexities of litigating allegations of copyright infringement. We apply our learnings and insights from these matters to deliver results for clients.
We regularly act in legal proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia, including in applications for urgent interlocutory relief, website blocking orders and Anton Piller (search and seizure) orders. We act in proceedings in the Copyright Tribunal of Australia and advise clients across all sectors of business on copyright clearance, protection and enforcement.
In addition to providing unmatched copyright litigation and enforcement expertise, our clients seek out our wealth of broader copyright experience, including advising and preparing submissions in relation to government inquiries and law reform proposals in the copyright arena.
Depth of experience
- Copyright litigation: our team has acted in many of Australia’s landmark copyright cases, including cases involving some of the highest awards for additional damages for copyright infringement.
- Enforcement: advising and acting in disputes involving allegations of copyright infringement across a wide range of business sectors, including consumer goods, software, education, technology, healthcare, food and beverages and financial services.
- Anti-counterfeiting: advising clients on anti-counterfeiting strategy and enforcement, including litigation, preliminary discovery applications, applications for urgent interlocutory relief and Anton Piller orders and Customs notices.
- Copyright advice: advising clients on a vast range of copyright issues, including copyright clearance associated with advertising and new product launches, copyright subsistence and ownership, screen scraping, copyright-design overlap, notice and takedown, NFTs, Crown copyright and safe harbours.
- Moral rights: advising clients on moral rights protection and enforcement.
- Copyright Tribunal: acting in applications and references to the Copyright Tribunal, including references for proposed royalty schemes.
- TPMs / anti-circumvention: advising on and acting in litigation regarding anti-circumvention technologies and their application to software and digital content.
- Website blocking: advising on and acting in website blocking applications under section 115A of the Copyright Act.
- Copyright policy: assisting clients in relation to submissions for law reform and government inquiries in the copyright field.
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property – Legal 500
- Ranked Tier 2 Intellectual Property - Chambers
- Ranked Tier 1 Intellectual Property Copyright & related rights – IP Stars