Product reputation is paramount
We understand the impact that product liability risk can have on your business. We have deep and long-standing knowledge and experience of product liability claims, all forms of litigation and the insurance industry and have helped clients worldwide across many sectors, including pharmaceuticals, automotive, construction and retail, to protect, defend claims and manage their risk.
We are uniquely placed to advise you on these issues and can offer you insight into the challenges you may face with our unparalleled experience and understanding due to being at the forefront of key developments in class actions.
Our clients seek our expertise in this area to assist with issues that could compromise product reputation including potential safety issues, potential or actual adverse events, product liability & defects claims, recalls, responding to consumer complaints and issues that arise in relation to the safety of consumer products and their compliance with regulatory requirements across a range of areas.
Our team also assists with ACL compliance audits, enquiries from State Health Authorities and Fair Trading Offices, contamination incidents, mandatory reporting and potential recall and liability issues (such as contractual and consumer guarantees).
We have negotiated with regulators in relation to product recall arrangements and consumer communications in relation to product defect and liability claims and have assisted clients with associated insurance issues. We have also advised clients on product recall issues and ACCC regulatory investigations.
Our expertise in action
- Product liability
- advising on product liability claims against an overseas supplier of failed building materials causing significant repair costs.
- acting in relation to allegations of defects in prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical products and medical devices. Assisting clients with investigation of complaints and responding to allegations that products caused harm or injury.
- acting for an Australian supplier of medical testing kits distributed to consumers throughout Australia via a government screening program. We negotiated the terms of a product recall and resupply with the government and the manufacturer
- acting for overseas manufacturers in relation to product liability issues and product recalls in Australia
- advising a major US manufacturer and supplier of machinery in relation to numerous product liability claims, recalls and related matters.
- assisting clients liaise with regulators in relation to product investigations and recalls.
- acting for a large multinational retail group, and advising on various issues that arise in relation to the safety of consumer products and their compliance with Australian regulatory requirements across a range of areas.
- Defects claims
- acting for a supplier of plumbing fixtures in relation to product defect claims involving complex construction projects
- acting for multinational corporations on exposure to potential claims and class actions in areas such as electromagnetic radiation liability, alcohol consumption (including foetal alcohol syndrome) and recycled water
- advising a range of manufacturing clients in litigation relating to defective products including veterinary products, egg pulp products, mining and packaging equipment, air-conditioning valves, motor vehicle tyres and electric power points.