Solving commercial disputes requires lawyers to be tough advocates and creative problem solvers. Our lawyers are exactly that.
Commercial disputes need to be handled in a way that reflects your wider strategic objectives, your commercial needs and your reputational imperatives, meeting the risks and legal challenges that arise in the process.
The hallmark of King & Wood Mallesons’ commercial dispute resolution team is our focus on delivering results quickly and cost effectively. Across multiple jurisdictions and in complex, high-value disputes we use our litigation skills to achieve the optimal outcome in the circumstances for you – whether this is in court, before a tribunal, in negotiations or in response to the relevant regulators.
As well as expertise in law, we understand a broad range of industry sectors – from financial institutions to energy and infrastructure – and the ability to isolate and deal with the complex factual issues that often underpin commercial disputes.
We advise clients on a wide range of commercial disputes. Highlights include representing:
- Lochard Energy: in its A$1 billion damages claim against EnergyAustralia relating to the acquisition of the Iona Gas Storage Facility.
- Energy and resources giant: in defending arbitration proceedings in relation to tax indemnities in a sale and purchase agreement (ICC Rules, New York seat).
- Commonwealth Department of Employment: and the special purpose liquidators of Queensland Nickel, in relation to the now settled debt recovery actions against Clive Palmer, one of the most high-profile matters in Australia in recent years.
- acted for Big Four Bank and financiers of the Raine Square development in Perth in defending $600m Supreme Court litigation brought by the property developers considering a broad range of claims.
- successfully defending minority oppression proceedings brought by American retail giants in the Federal Court of Australia in a dispute stemming from the joint venture between major Australian retailers regarding the Masters Home Improvement business and the exit process.
- Ranked Tier 1 – Legal 500
- Australian Firm of the Year – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific Awards, 2021
- International Firm of the Year – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific Awards, 2021
- Dispute Resolution Firm of the Year – Asia Legal Awards, Asia Pacific, 2021