Defending class action proceedings demands both procedural finesse and subject matter mastery. You need a clear-eyed view of the merits of the substantive claim in order to craft a strategy that works within the class action procedure.
King & Wood Mallesons offers a large and specialised class action team with subject matter expertise, procedural skills and a successful track record.
Our partners are recognised for thinking outside of the box, not adopting cookie cutter solutions, and identifying the individual points that will drive the best solution available for our clients; be it financial products, product liability, public liability or competition.
Recent examples of our expertise include acting for:
- National Australia Bank: in resolving (for A$49.5 million) the first consumer credit insurance class action.
- IAG, Allianz and Suncorp: three of Australia’s largest general insurers in separate class actions involving sale of add-on motor vehicle insurance.
- Woolworths Group Ltd: in resolving (for A$44.5 million) a securities class action in relation to profit guidance.
- Westpac: in successfully defending ASIC civil penalty proceedings and resolving the follow-on class action proceedings relating to responsible lending practices for home loans.
- Commonwealth Department of Defence: in the largest class actions against the Commonwealth, relating to claims of historical environmental contamination at Defence facilities.
- NatWest: in defending a cartel class action concerning Spot FX trading.
- Tier 1, Legal 500 – Dispute Resolution: Class Actions, 2021