Strategic response to competition and consumer protection investigations
In an aggressive enforcement environment, you benefit from our strong track record of assisting our clients on domestic and international competition and consumer protection investigations, follow-on prosecutions and damages actions.
You also benefit from our international network and close working relationships with other leading advisers located around the world. This strength means that we are well equipped to respond to investigations launched by local Australian regulators and their offshore counterparts, and to co-ordinate our clients’ responses across all jurisdictions including Asia, the UK, Europe and the Americas.
In addition to responding to regulatory investigations, we work closely with our clients to proactively avoid the time, cost and risks associated with investigations and follow-on enforcement actions by conducting internal investigations and internal reviews, and developing comprehensive compliance programmes. We tailor these to your industry and the jurisdictions in which you operate.
We have been involved in some of the most significant investigations in recent times, from cartel investigations spanning Asia and beyond, to allegations of misleading conduct, unfair contract terms or unconscionable conduct, and facing into the overlapping jurisdiction of competition, consumer protection and privacy regulators.
Experienced compliance and investigations team
We advise clients in the technology, health, manufacturing, electricity, financial services and transport sectors on all aspects of regulatory investigations, including:
- Assessing and responding to mandatory notices for the production of documents, provision of information and attendance at examinations issued by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) (known as section 155 notices in Australia) and other regulators
- Navigating enforcement investigations
- Assessing the risks and benefits of applying for immunity from prosecution for cartel conduct
- Negotiating settlements with the ACCC
- Preparing for litigation
- Acting in market studies conducted by the ACCC and other regulators such as the Productivity Commission.
Our regulatory investigations lawyers have acted in most major market studies including in relation to digital platforms and digital platform services, foreign exchange conversion services, electricity, gas, water and perishable goods.