Tim is a solicitor advocate who was appointed Queens Counsel in 2011. He specialises in international commercial and investment arbitration as well as complex multi-jurisdictional litigation, cross- border insolvencies, regulatory investigations, civil fraud, and asset tracing. He has gained experience of proceedings in over forty jurisdictions globally. He has a leading reputation highlighted by the major directories for several years as being a creative litigation strategist as well as an experienced advocate.
He acts for major corporates and financial institutions, sovereign states and parastatals, high net worth individuals and heads of state, with a broad range of experience across international trade and financial services, telecoms and media, construction and banking.
- He acts as an advocate both in international arbitrations under the rules of most major international arbitration institutions, as well as in the High Court in London, the DIFC Courts and the Dubai World Tribunal (DWT), and the Courts of the British Virgin Islands and Seychelles.
- He acts as a mediator to resolve a wide range of commercial disputes and also as an arbitrator appointed by the LCIA in Dubai and London and the ICC.
- He has advised on disputes and/or appeared in arbitrations in other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar.
He also has expertise in regulatory investigations, including ones carried out by central banks and financial services regulators in European and Middle Eastern jurisdictions.
He is the founding director of the International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA) programme, which aims to build legal capacity and strengthen the rule of law in Africa through placements with major law firms in the UK.
Recent highlights and significant reported cases
Meydan Group LLC v DIAC  DIFC ARB 012 (17 February 2019), (25 April 2019) representing major Dubai government owned developer in unprecedented proceedings against the Dubai International Arbitration Centre to invalidate its appointment of a tribunal and seek an anti-arbitration injunction
VIH Dubai Palm Jumeirah Ltd (Cayman Islands) v Assas Opco Ltd and Ors  DIFC ARB 005 (25 December 2018), – defeating committal application for several Respondents (Assas Investments, Five Hotel and Others) in the leading case on the DIFC Courts' contempt of court powers, leading to the modifications of the DIFC Courts' prescribed form of penal notice and worldwide freezing orders.
Emirates NBD v Al Rihab  DIFC CFI 037 (22 June 2020) – appearing for the owners of the last major undeveloped site in the DIFC to appeal foreclosure.
Acting for former senior management of the NMC Healthcare (placed in administration in April 2020) and UAE Exchange and Travelex businesses in connection with cross-border insolvency and related court procedures.
Appearing for the largest producer globally of Basmati Rice in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration with its former UAE distributor (DL19279), with a hearing held remotely in June 2020 over a period of 8 Days between locations in the UK, UAE and India.
Appearing for the former distributor for Egypt of a Japanese healthcare manufacturer in a Dubai seated DIAC arbitration (DIAC Case 69/2019), obtaining an interim award to redress the non-payment by the Respondent of its share of the advances payable to the institution.
Defeating summarily AED 2.4 billion claim by major UAE Constructor against Dubai Government owned Developer in a DIAC arbitration (DIAC Case 136/2018), with a tribunal under the Chairmanship of Sir Michael Burton CBE.
Appearing for hotel developer and owner in DIFC LCIA arbitrations (DL17120 and DL17138) with a tribunal of Sir Bernard Eder, Lord Grabiner QC and Dame Elizabeth Gloster heard in London in 2019.
Appearing for Mashreq Bank in the Dubai World Tribunal to oppose terms of the Restructuring of the Drydocks World Group [DWT-VAN-0001-2017].
ED&F Man Capital Markets Mena Limited & Anr v RJ O'Brien Mena Capital Limited & Ors  DIFC CFI 015 – representing one of the largest independent brokerage firms in the United States in DIFC Court proceedings concerning issues in relation to confidentiality, restrictive covenants and poaching of employees and clients.
MobileTelesystems OJSC v Nomihold (telecoms arbitration and freezing orders) [ EWHC 130 (Comm)].
VTB v Konstantin Malofeev  UKSC 5 up to the Supreme Court in the UK successfully maintaining the dismissal of a worldwide freezing order for material non-disclosure and the case on jurisdictional grounds.
Tim is widely recognised by the top legal directories and has received several prestigious awards and nominations.
- Chambers & Partners UAE 2020 recommendation includes, 'Tim Taylor QC is described by market sources as "a powerful advocate" with one interviewee expanding: "He's a lawyer who will fight your case and push the envelope." A solicitor advocate, he is highly active in the DIFC Courts in addition to working as an arbitrator and is known for his sound grasp of strategy. He represents major real estate development and investment companies, as well as high net worth individuals.
- Legal 500 UAE 2020 describes him as 'Tim Taylor QC is a veteran of the Dubai disputes world – he can draw on his huge experience to generate ideas which many would have dismissed, often with success.' Tim's team is ranked in Band 1 for UAE dispute resolution and Tim is also ranked as a leading individual.
- Tim has also been ranked as a 'Global Leader' by Who's Who Legal for Arbitration 2020, Mediation 2020 and Litigation 2019.
Publications and media coverage
- Tim Taylor QC writes for Entrepreneur Middle East on an action plan for business leaders to tackle the COVID-19 crisis (and its aftermath). (April 2020) www.entrepreneur.com/article/349867
- Tim Taylor QC writes for MEED on the pandemics potential impact on disputes. (April 2020) www.meed.com/covid19-impact-uae-disputes
- Tim Taylor QC is interviewed for Arabian Business (August 2019) www.arabianbusiness.com/business/425900-the-legal-eagle-tim-taylor-dubais-only-resident-practising-qc
- Tim Taylor QC writes for Arabian Business on the Belt and Road Initiative on the myths surrounding China's belt and road initiative. (May 2019) www.arabianbusiness.com/politics-economics/422607-the-myths-surrounding-chinas-belt-road-initiative
- Tim Taylor QC writes for Bahrain Chamber for Dispute Resolution on the confluence of civil and common law (and the influence of the Shari'a) in Middle East construction arbitrations. (July 2017) www.bcdr-aaa.org/bcdr-international-arbitration-review/bcdr-international-arbitration-review-july-2017-volume-4-issue-1/bcdr-international-arbitration-review-july-2017-volume-4-issue-1-page-217
- GAR Live Abu Dhabi 2020 – Tim Taylor QC took part in the GAR Live debate, which focused on arbitral immunity.
- Dubai Arbitration Week 2019 – Tim Taylor QC took part in a panel titled 'enforcement of arbitral awards in the DIFC, UAE and the wider Middle East.'
- Legal 500 Dispute Resolution Middle East Summit 2019 – Tim Taylor QC and Tom Montagu-Smith QC (XXIV Old Buildings) spoke at the event on the topic: 'The evolving jurisdiction of the DIFC Courts - Contempt of Court, Addition of Parties and Judicial Review.'
- Fifth SOAS Arbitration in Africa Conference 2019 – Tim Taylor QC spoke on a panel in relation to the Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Africa.
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association