Matthew Austin specialises in environment, planning and resources law. Matthew leads the Brisbane environment and planning team and is a key member of the firm's climate change and sustainability teams.
Matthew provides specialist advice on the operation of various state and federal environment and planning assessment and approvals processes. He advises on environmental enforcement and compliance, contaminated land, native title, cultural heritage, vegetation, water and other natural resources matters.
Matthew acts for a range of clients on development, infrastructure and mining projects. He advises on major project approvals processes and other project facilitation options, as well as acting for clients on environment and planning disputes, compensation and land acquisition claims.
Matthew's work highlights include:
- Dexus: lead adviser on Dexus' landmark $2bn Brisbane CBD Waterfront Precinct redevelopment project which will revitalise a whole riverside precinct, comprising new commercial towers, hotel, restaurants and open space precincts.
- EMR Capital: worked closely with this private equity client on a number of resource project acquisitions.
- Inland Rail (Melbourne to Brisbane rail line): delivery of the $10bn Inland rail project.
- Lion Beer, Wine and Spirits: long-standing adviser to the Lion group of companies, in particular the Heritage-listed and iconic Milton Brewery in Brisbane.
- Lightsource BP: led a team advising on State and Commonwealth environment, planning and electricity approval issues in relation to the financing of the Wyalong and Woolooga renewable energy projects in New South Wates and Queensland.