John Canning has been practising asset finance and leasing, structured finance, and property finance for over 30 years. John is a specialist in aviation. Having worked in London, Hong Kong and Sydney, John practises English and Hong Kong as well as Australian law and is internationally recognised for his experience in cross border structured finance transactions, particularly in the asset and aviation sectors.
John’s experience has been internationally recognised through his work on asset and aviation by being appointed to the legal Advisory Panel for the Aviation Working Group, a worldwide industry body advising on Aircraft Security and the Cape Town Convention and other Aviation related issues. John was involved with the design and implementation of the Australian Personal Property Securities Legislation (PPS) with the Attorney General's Department and Senate Inquiries.
John is now advising clients on the impact of the PPS on their business and products.
John is ranked Band 1 for Asset Financing across all leading legal directories in Australia and Band 3 for Aircraft Financing in Chambers & Partners, Asia-Pacific.
John's experience includes:
- Banks and equity providers in financing, finance leasing and operating leasing for large ticket equipment including Aircraft.
- Banks in the documenting, financing, and leasing of Aircraft transactions for offshore Airlines under international laws including English Law and Hong Kong.
- Borrowers, banks and arrangers on structured property finance transactions involving commercial and residential buildings.
- Acquirers and banks in acquisition financing of leasing companies.
Some of John's recent transactions include acting for:
- over 40 lessor and financiers with 118 Aircraft in Virgin Australian Airlines Administration;
- the lessor and financiers for the operating leasing of seven Boeing 737-800 Aircraft put on lease to Rex Airlines;
- the financiers on the financing for Qantas in connection with nine Boeing 787 Aircraft;
- the lessors and financiers in connection with the leasing of six Airbus A321 Aircraft to Jetstar Australia;
- the financiers in connection with for the Melbourne Bus Franchise;
- the financiers in connection with the finance leasing of mining Equipment for the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance; and
- the financiers in connection with the finance leasing of packaging machinery for Visy Industries.