Vanessa specialises in structured finance and derivatives. She advises mortgage lenders, financial institutions and corporate clients in the consumer credit and foreign exchange (FX) sectors on all types of structured finance.
She has expertise in mortgages (residential and commercial), non-performing and other loan securitisations and warehousings, whole business securitisations and fund derivatives, from the review and negotiation of standard ISDA documents to the more complex regulatory issues which result from the implementation of EMIR and other European regulation and corresponding legislation in other G20 countries.
She has advised various clients on distressed debt issues and debt buy-backs through derivative instruments. She also regularly advises borrowers negotiating ISDA schedules to trade interest rate swaps and FXs and hedge funds setting up derivative platforms.
Vanessa currently acts for Pepper (UK), First Names Group, The AA, EBRD and several large Chinese clients
Legal 500 lists Vanessa for both Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives & Structured Products, in which she is described as “knowledgeable, swift to react and willing to go the extra mile”.
Recommended in Legal 500: Finance (Derivatives and Structured Products as well as Securitisation). Legal 500 also said “tenacious, extremely quick” Vanessa has "fingertip knowledge of the sector, with excellent communication skills” also “has great knowledge, manages her team well, provides good follow-up and has good industry contacts.”
Selected as one of the 'Hot 100' lawyers in the finance sphere by The Lawyer, 2010.
Show moreShow less
Securitisations and warehousings
- Nord LB in connection with the securitisation of assets originated by certain Flint Group companies.
- Chinese corporates on the financing of their acquisition of European companies using derivatives products and straight debt.
- Rothschild Bank International: on two €140,000,000 warehouse lines to finance Spanish residential mortgage loans and subsequent amendments thereto.
- Pepper (UK) Limited: on its first warehouse of English residential mortgage loans.
- Marlin Financial Services: £120 million of facilities from The Royal Bank of Scotland, Investec, Haymarket Financial and Fortress for the purpose of refinancing and purchasing portfolios of non-performing consumer loans.
Structured Finance/ Derivatives
- Working with Gordon Dadds Financial Markets to set up an EMIR variation margin project to design and implement a large documentation solution for banks ahead of the uncleared margin rules coming into force on 1 March 2017.
- Advice to various entities on their classification under EMIR for various purposes and on their obligations under the various EMIR related protocols and documents.
- Acting on a s166 action relating to the mis-selling of interest rate swaps.
- Morgan Stanley in relation to structuring and running of various listed repackaging certificate programmes utilising a custodian certificate structure.
- Barclays Bank and Bondholders in restructuring various series of bonds issued under repackaging programmes arranged by Lehman Brothers.