Recent representative experience
John is a market leader in:
- Asia regional fund establishment – John has unique experience of international fundraising available locally, having been fund counsel on some of the largest raisings in Asia-Pacific; and
- cross-border investment for Asian, European, North American and other foreign clients, including fund managers and major sovereign wealth and pension funds.
John has extensive experience across a broad range of M&A transactions, including listed funds/REITs, IPOs mergers and restructures, joint ventures and convertible bonds.
- Currently acting on global infrastructure funds
- US$870 million Macquarie China Everbright Infrastructure Funds
- US$1.25 billion Macquarie SBI Indian Infrastructure Fund
- US$85 million Invista/Boss partnership I LP
- US$95 million AMP Capital Asian Giants Infrastructure Fund
- US$100 million Infrastructure Fund of India
- SG$385 million Ascendas Hospitality Trust Singapore IPO
- Macquarie S$900 million Singapore listed Prime REIT and Macquarie Goodman Hong Kong Logistics Fund
- Diversified Utility & Energy Trusts (DUET) – initial wholesale fund, IPO and later rights offers; POWERS IPO and rights offer
- SPARK Infrastructure – IPO and later rights offer
- Macquarie Communications Infrastructure – various capital raisings
- Lion Indian Real Estate Fund.
Fund investments / M&A / restructures
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board’s (CPPIB) successful takeover bid with DEXUS for Commonwealth Property Office Fund
- CPPIB’s investment in Sydney’s landmark Barangaroo office development and AMP Capital shopping centre trust
- CIC’s consortium acquisition of Connect East toll road
- GIC/Macquarie’s acquisition of Iglu student accommodation platform
- Invesco’s acquisitions of office assets for German pension fund and Chinese investor client
- Challenger’s acquisitions of 6 shopping centres for SWF client
- LaSalle Investment Management’s acquisition of Trinity Funds Management
- Lend Lease’s acquisition of shopping centre for SWF client
- Acquisitions or bids for infrastructure assets including roads, ports, tunnels and wind farms
- Securus’ acquisition of data centre portfolio (included in Keppel DC REIT IPO)
- SPARK Infrastructure – restructure of listed group
- DUET restructuring of United Energy, Multinet and Alinta Gas
- Acquisitions, disposals and fund management JVs for Macquarie, involving Singapore, Hong Kong, China, India and Japan over a 10 year period
- Cross border transactions for AMP Capital, Australand, Challenger, China Investment Corporation, CLSA, Goldman Sachs, Investec, Invista, Keppel, LaSalle Investment Management, Lend Lease, Macquarie, Pramerica Real Estate Investors and Securus.
- Australand Pan-Asian industrial and logistics joint venture with CapitaLand
- China joint ventures between Macquarie and China Everbright
- India joint ventures between Macquarie Capital, State Bank of India and IFC
- Asian joint ventures between Macquarie Bank and Goodman.
- Linc Energy A$200 million Singapore convertible bonds
- Beach Petroleum A$150 million Singapore convertible bonds
- FKP Property A$100 million Singapore convertible bonds
- Western Areas A$125 million and A$225 million Singapore convertible bonds
- Commonwealth Property Office Fund A$200 million Singapore convertible bonds
- Macquarie Communications A$625 million and US$200 million Singapore convertible bonds
- CFS Retail Property A$600 million Singapore convertible bonds.
John received his Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degrees from Sydney University. He also received a Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment.