You should read this statement carefully to understand our practices in relation to information which relates to living individuals (“personal information”) and how we use personal information.
This website is provided by KWM Service Limited, which as the data controller in relation to personal information appearing on or collected using this website is notified under the United Kingdom Data Protection Act 1998, and is hosted by third parties using servers located in the People’s Republic of China and in the United Kingdom. The purpose of this statement is to give you information on the purposes for which King & Wood Mallesons uses personal information so that that use is fair and to give you information on the transfer of personal information between members of the King & Wood Mallesons network in different locations and other information relating to the use of personal information.
Personal information is received by us in various ways, including through the use of this website. This statement relates to personal information collected by King & Wood Mallesons other than personal information held in that capacity in relation to King & Wood Mallesons’ partners, lawyers and employees, current and past, and to people who are applying for a position with King & Wood Mallesons, for which separate statements apply.
This website contains links to third party websites. If you follow a link to these websites please note that these websites are likely to have their own privacy policies and we cannot be held responsible for such third party privacy policies, the content of the website or for the personal information protection processes of those third parties.
We reserve the right to modify this privacy statement or any part of it at any time and any changes will be posted on the Site.
About King & Wood Mallesons and this website
King & Wood Mallesons has offices in a number of locations across the world, principally in Asia, Australia, Europe and North America; the laws applicable in the various locations make different provision for the protection of personal information. Consent to use, and in particular to transferring the information outside the location of receipt, is often a key factor in determining the extent to which we can use the personal information you provide, although those laws in some locations do allow certain use of personal information without consent, including use that is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), for the purpose of providing or obtaining legal advice, or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights. Consent can be express or in some cases implied in or from the circumstances in which the information is supplied. We will ask for express consent where that is required under applicable law and in certain other circumstances. We may use personal information without consent of the relevant individual where that is permitted by applicable law.
Personal information we may collect
We usually collect the following kinds of personal information (which can include sensitive information):
- Name, address, age, occupation, qualifications/professional membership, and other contact information
- Information specific to the legal advice sought by a client or arising in the course of giving legal advice
- Interests in areas of legal practice or events
- Information about people’s dealings with us or our clients, including about visits made to our offices or to events with which we are involved
We collect personal information (through use of this website and from communications and other interactions with us) directly from individuals and from clients and others we encounter in the ordinary course of business. We may also collect from third parties (eg governmental, law enforcement and other public authorities, and commercial information suppliers) publicly available information and other personal information which is not publicly available information.
In relation to this website information we may collect from you includes:
- Details of your visit to the website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data as well as the web pages and resources you access
- Information you submit when completing forms on the website including (but not limited to) when you sign up to an event or to receive our newsletters or other communications, or when you report a problem with the website or its content
- Cookies and tracking
- Record of your correspondence with us
- Results of any surveys we carry out on the site
Personal information we collect will not be kept for longer than is necessary for the purpose or purpose it was collected. We are subject to legal and regulatory requirements to retain for significant periods client files which will include personal information.
The purpose(s) for which personal information will be used
King & Wood Mallesons uses personal information only in accordance with applicable law in the relevant location where the information is used. Use as mentioned in this statement is always subject to relevant applicable law.
We use personal information (including sensitive information), including transferring it to another location, for the purposes for which it was collected and for the following purposes:
- Where that is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), for the purpose of providing or obtaining legal advice, or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights, or is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the individual to whom the information relates (in relation to any matter on which we are giving legal advice, personal information may include personal information relating to the client or the client’s counterparty and their and their advisers’ owners, officers, employees and associates (and in the case of a client who is an individual, his or her family members));
- To provide legal services (and associated consultancy and advisory services) to our clients, to manage and account for those services, and to improve those services;
- To manage our relationships with our clients and suppliers and with businesses and others who we believe might become clients or suppliers;
- To promote King & Wood Mallesons to our clients and individuals who may be interested in our services either for the business with which they are associated or personally and to provide them with information about legal developments, events or other products or services that may interest them, by way of direct marketing and otherwise;
- To facilitate our internal business operations, including to fulfil our legal requirements and professional obligations, to support and manage our employees, to protect our property and premises, to prevent and investigate crime or possible crime, and to provide information to external service providers so that they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business;
and to communicate with others for one of more of those purposes.
The website information we hold about users may be used in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for the user and for the user’s computer
- To provide the user with information, services or invitations to events that the user requests from us or that we think may interest the user
- To allow the user to participate in interactive features of our service when the user chooses to do so
You may withdraw your consent to receive marketing materials from us by contacting us.
In using personal information (including sensitive information) we may disclose it:
- Subject to our professional obligations, to any person where necessary or desirable in connection with our provision of legal services, such as to the client, courts and tribunals, governmental or regulatory authorities, law enforcement agencies, or other partners or advisors (including where we share information between offices in the King & Wood Mallesons network)
- Within King & Wood Mallesons
- On a confidential basis to external service providers (in any of the locations in which we have offices) so that they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business
- As required by law subject to our professional obligations, as permitted by applicable law and/or with consent of the relevant individual if required
Where we use and store personal information
King & Wood Mallesons will use personal information supplied in one location in another location where a member of the King & Wood Mallesons network or a person processing the information on its behalf is located. We will also use personal information which we hold and which is relevant in proceedings before any court or tribunal wherever located. Persons supplying personal information to or within the European Union should note that this is likely to involve the transfer of their personal information to places outside the European Economic Area which may not ensure an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of individuals in relation to the processing of personal information.
In particular in relation to this website, users should note that the website servers are located in the People’s Republic of China and in the United Kingdom so that if they provide personal information it will be received in those places and where information is specifically requested normally by the server in the United Kingdom and then shared with the relevant King & Wood Mallesons offices.
We take reasonable steps to protect all information which we hold (including personal information) from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or improper disclosure.
Most browsers have a facility that will allow you to disable cookies altogether; please refer to your browser’s help menu to find out how to do this. While you will still be able to browse most of this website with cookies disabled, certain features may not be available.
Access, changes and complaints
An individual may ask us to provide a copy of the personal information we hold about him or her. We will respond if and to the extent required by applicable law. If there is no applicable law requirement to respond then subject to applicable law and regulation, we will respond if such disclosure is fair and reasonable (although in this case we may refuse access where we are not permitted to so disclose or for any other reason that is itself fair and reasonable). We reserve the right to make a small administrative charge to cover our costs of doing this.
If an individual believes any personal information relating to him or her that we hold is incorrect he or she should contact us to correct it.
You may also submit to us (see contact details below) a written complaint about how we handle your personal information. If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint or we have not replied to you within a reasonable period of time, then you may be entitled under applicable law to make a complaint to the relevant regulator.
In relation to this Privacy Statement or the use of your personal information please contact the relevant King & Wood Mallesons contact as set out where required on the location specific legal notices pages.
Alternatively please contact the General Counsel of King & Wood Mallesons in Australia at Level 61, Governor Phillip Tower, Farrer Place, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia, T +61 2 9296 2000 or email email@example.com. In relation to personal information on or collected through this website KWM Service Limited has appointed KWM Europe LLP of Octagon Point, St Martins Court, 5 Cheapside, London, EC2V 6AA, UK as its representative in the United Kingdom for the purposes of the United Kingdom Data Protection Act 1998.
KWM Service Limited can be contacted at 13/F Gloucester Tower, The Landmark, 15 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong.