Russia and the CIS have seen dramatic changes since the financial crisis. Interest in traditional commodities has fluctuated; economies have varied growth but have seen the impact of inflation and lower growth.
The new Customs Union of Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus is beginning to take shape. The situation in Ukraine continues to develop and to place some strain on international relations with the West, but is promoting potentially strong ties with the East.
We provide a one-stop shop for Russia / CIS clients and their international legal requirements. Our prime areas of focus are Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine but we have worked in most of the CIS states.
Our Russia/CIS Group has a team of 20 lawyers dedicated to our clients in the region and comprises native speakers and qualified lawyers. We have an in-depth understanding of the issues and the way business is practiced in the region. Our team members have worked in the region for over 14 years and are widely recognised for their market leading expertise.
We advise on a wide range of inbound and outbound Russia/CIS related matters including M&A, corporate, finance, financial services, private equity fund formation and investment, commercial, litigation, tax and energy and infrastructure projects. We focus on a number of sectors including oil & gas and natural resources, energy and infrastructure, telecoms, consumer goods/retail, industrials, healthcare and financial markets.
Typical matters include advising a leading Russian businessman on investments in an English Premier League football club and a Russian oligarch on $300million ICC arbitration in connection with financing related to the funding of an aluminium business.
Other work highlights include advising:
- Vnesheconombank (VEB) on the sponsor support and security for the £1 billion project financing of the Sochi Olympic Village
- Svoboda on its $1.14 billion disposal of Lenta, Russia’s leading hypermarket
- Successfully representing the defendants up to the Supreme Court in claims involving allegations of fraud and conspiracy brought by one of Russia’s leading banks. Now a leading case on both forum non convenience and piercing the corporate veil, with a matter value of+US$365 million
- Silver Point Capital: on a private investment in public equity transaction in Cardinal Resources plc., the Ukrainian gas group previously listed on AIM.
- Alfa Capital Partners: on its investment into News-Out-of-Home, a major outdoor media business in Russia and Romania, which was sold by News Corp for £350 million.
- A high net worth individual and a BVI registered company on a shareholder dispute with a high profile Russian financial institution, in relation to a well known chain of Russian supermarkets. The case before the LCIA involved complex allegations of fraud and leading a team of lawyers in connected litigation in the BVI and Russia. A $1.1 billion settlement was achieved for our client.
"With their ability to think outside the box and push each deal forward, we regard this firm as a real alternative to the magic circle."