Mitigating risk and maximising opportunities
We give you the top-tier skills, technical expertise and insight you need to help you mitigate risk and maximise opportunities in a fiercely competitive telecommunications market.
Truly global expertise
Our international team operates across Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. And we have one of Asia’s largest and strongest full-service telecommunications law practices.
We often act as international counsel for telecoms players in the Asia Pacific region and we have lawyers qualified to practice English, PRC, Hong Kong and Australian law.
We have also been the law firm at the heart of the telecommunications boom over the last 25 years. We tackle the big deals and the strategic policy work, as well as advising the disruptors and the innovators who are leading the pack. We work with major telcos on all aspects of doing business in the region.
Our clients benefit from the expertise of our specialist telecommunications finance lawyers who work closely alongside our competition, regulatory, tax, joint venture and merger and acquisition (M&A) specialists. For contentious and non-contentious problems, we are here with the advice you need.
Show moreShow less
Advising every area of the telco industry
We offer clients insight in every area of law affecting the telecommunications industry. The clients around the world benefitting from our advice include fixed-line operators, mobile network operators, regional governments, supranational bodies, network and device technology companies, internet service providers, and IT, gaming and content developers.
The legal services we offer the telecommunications sector include advising on:
- Regulatory reform and compliance
- Spectrum regulation including auctions, trading and licensing
- Network access agreements and disputes
- Advertising, sponsorships and media content agreements
- Wholesale access arrangements between carriers
- Large and medium corporate customer retail supply and outsourcing contracts
- Complex government supply contracts
- Retail consumer contracts and franchising arrangements, privacy issues and antitrust
- Contracts for the supply of international telco services in multiple jurisdictions
- International submarine cable construction, consortium and capacity agreements and associated licensing and regulatory arrangements
- Satellite access, capacity and earth station arrangements.
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Telstra on its agreement with NBN Co and the Australian Government for the rollout of the AUD$43bn National Broadband Network, including negotiating agreements to shut down copper networks, migrate customers to the NBN, licence infrastructure to NBN Co for long-term use, and subsequent ongoing negotiations
- Telstra in relation to contracts for the design, construction and maintenance of critical new telecommunications networks, including the IP core network (Cisco); the Next G™ 3G Mobile Network (Ericsson); the IP fixed network (Alcatel); the DOCSIS 3.0 HFC network build (Cisco and Alcatel)
- China Netcom in relation to legal issues arising from its merger with China Unicom
- Tonga Ministry of Communications on developing the legal and regulatory framework that will apply to Tonga’s telecommunications sector, following the building of a new fibre optic link to link Tonga with other countries
- Global consortium on establishing the Australia-Japan subsea cable, including documenting JV and shareholder arrangements, financing, construction, landing party arrangements and international capacity agreements
- A Major European carrier in the UK on mergers, articles 101/102, cartels, investigations and pure telecoms and economic regulation such as the Common Regulatory Framework, mobile call termination pricing reviews, wholesale pricing of NGGNs and NCCN determinations
- World Bank on proposed changes to the Kiribati telecommunications regime, including in relation to radio communications, licensing, universal service, regulation of equipment, interception and numbering
- Infocom on Chinese regulatory issues relating to the proposed provision of telecoms services in China by a Japanese telecommunications provider.
"A sizeable practice offering a sophisticated service in IT and telecommunications."