A law firm in the entertainment industry spotlight
Leading media and entertainment companies rely on us for advice on their most complex regulatory requirements, transactions, disputes, funding needs and tax issues. They value our deep sector understanding and the technical excellence of our integrated full-service team.
For those involved in music, games, advertising, film and TV or data provision, the media and entertainment environment is evolving at a relentless pace. The convergence of digital technology and media alongside the globalisation of content creates a vibrant and disruptive marketplace with plenty of opportunities. We help you take advantage of those opportunities.
Strategic legal advice for entertainment businesses
Clients such as casinos, live entertainment theatres, betting organisations, resorts, amusement parks, exhibition organisers and sporting bodies come to us for the strategic legal advice they need to help them manage their business.
Show moreShow less
Our lawyers advise the entertainment sector on:
- Public and private M&A
- Corporate governance and directors' duties
- Employment and industrial relations
- All aspects of financing
- Contracts and negotiating commercial agreements
- Procurement of goods and services for theatre production
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property law, brand and trademark protection
- Advertising and marketing law
- Competition, regulation, consumer and licensing issues
- Event and venue agreements
- Film, television and video game production agreements
- Reality television
- Agreements with talent
- Management and agency agreements
- Video game and film distribution
- Protection of characters
- Sponsorship and celebrity arrangements
- Music production and distribution
- Digital rights management and digital distribution
- Publishing and author arrangements
- Live production financing and production agreements
- Concerts and major events
- Venue hire.
We advise many of the major brands in the entertainment industry. Recent highlights include advising:
- Universal Music on its acquisition of EMI's recorded music business and its subsequent divestiture sale of nine recorded music assets including the disposal of Parlophone Records to Warner Music
- Nintendo on the coordination of its European strategy in relation to anti-piracy measures; advising on European launch of new video game devices and platforms; and implementing a youth protection system
- An International music and recording organisation on copyright management and protection in China, including traditional music, internet music and mobile phone music
- Astro Arena Sdn Bhd on the establishment of a sports broadcasting channel in Malaysia
- Telstra BigPond Movies on agreements with all major studios; advised Telstra in relation to content classification including the establishment of a RAS (Restricted Access System) for MA15+ content subscription services
- A Malaysian Telco Provider on a content aggregation arrangement, which outsourced a range of content aggregation, publishing and advertising agency functions for its online, mobile and IPTV content businesses.
"King & Wood Mallesons' sizeable TMT team is deservedly regarded as a first-tier provider as it always delivers practical and useable solutions, giving clients exceptional value for money."