First-class, full-service legal capabilities
Representing household-name clients around the world, we have one of the leading global TMT practices. With more than 80 partners worldwide, we advise on all aspects of the telecommunications, media, entertainment and technology sector – and we have substantial cross-border capabilities. Whatever your niche in the sector, we have experience within our global team to support your needs. You can benefit from our deep industry knowledge, strategic thinking, technical advice and commerciality.
All areas of law, all markets
We have one of the largest and strongest full-service telecommunications law practices – advising on national broadband rollouts, regulatory reform and compliance, spectrum, network access agreements and disputes, wholesale access arrangements between carriers, telecommunications M&A and much more. For example, we regularly advise governments and supranational bodies on the development of telecommunications regimes in emerging economies in Asia Pacific.
Our technology practice is also renowned for the significant value it brings to clients across the full range of technology law issues. Clients include international and domestic technology consulting and IT outsourcing providers (including SaaS providers) and international software developers on the supply-side, and Government, major international companies and banks on the demand-side. We specialise in assisting clients with procuring and implementing complex IT systems, particularly where there are significant risks and risk allocation issues.
The media and entertainment environment is evolving at a relentless pace – and we can guide you through it. Digital technology and globalised content are helping to create a vibrant and disruptive marketplace full of opportunities. Acting across all aspects of the media industry – such as broadcasting, print, social media, gaming, and internet – we have the credentials to help our clients achieve those opportunities locally or internationally. Integrated and effective, our international team of media lawyers has a long and successful history of working with major industry names.
Show moreShow less
A detailed understanding of the sector
Naturally, the TMT sector is subject to constant innovation and flux. In short, we provide a point of reference you can trust.
Recent work highlights include advising:
- Telstra on its agreement with NBN Co and the Australian Government for the rollout of the AUD$43bn National Broadband Network, including negotiating agreements to shut down copper networks, migrate customers to the NBN, licence infrastructure to NBN Co for long-term use, and subsequent ongoing negotiations
- Medibank Private, Australia’s largest health insurer, on its PHL platform core system replacement. Work included drafting and negotiating the agreement for the blueprint and detailed design and the systems integration agreement. It also involved negotiating the licences for the core SAP software and maintenance agreements
- A European multinational in China on technology licensing arrangements in China, comprising establishment of a new JV company with a Beijing-based firm, negotiating licence agreements, and advising on PRC regulatory, employment, directors’ liability, commercial leasing and profit repatriation issues
- A major US IT provider on cloud services, and negotiation of a high value and complex volume licensing agreement with an ASX top 10 customer planning to move from software used on premises to software hosted at our client’s IT 's data centres
- BSkyB on its successful claim against another company’s use of a trade mark for its online storage offering
- Universal Music on its acquisition of EMI’s recorded music business and its subsequent divestiture sale of 9 recorded music assets including the disposal of Parlophone Records to Warner Music
- Nintendo on the coordination of its European strategy in relation to anti-piracy measures; advising on European launch of new video game devices and platforms; and implementing a youth protection system.
"I always know I’m going to get a certain level of quality: I’m not worried who’s going to be put on the matter as everyone’s very good."