We are a law firm with a reputation for innovation in real estate funds
King & Wood Mallesons has built its reputation as an innovator in real estate funds by pioneering new structures complemented by the most commercial tax and regulatory advice. Our specialist team advises on the establishment, marketing and operation of real estate funds.
With a deep understanding of the mechanics and sensitivities of manager/investor relations, our international team has particular expertise advising on carried interest and incentive arrangements and co-investment schemes.
We appreciate the mechanics and sensitivities of manager-investor relations. And we have particular expertise advising on carried interest and incentive arrangements and co-investment schemes.
Whether you are building, managing or diversifying, we offer unique legal, commercial and financial insights and advice at fund formation and all stages in the life cycle of a real estate asset. We advise on all types of real estate investment funds including:
- Opportunistic/private equity real estate
- Value add
- Core and Core Plus
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
- Property Authorised Investment Funds (PAIFs)
- Real estate debt funds – distressed debt, senior, mezzanine and whole loan
- Infrastructure funds.
Show moreShow less
From sponsors to listed REITS to fund managers, sovereign wealth funds and local and foreign investors and developers, our clients benefit from our ability to offer a single-desk service, and co-ordinated document management. Recent experience includes advising on / acting for:
- Westfield Group and AMP Capital AUD 2 billion asset swap and documenting the continuance of the long term relationship between AMP Capital, Westfield Group and Westfield Retail Trust: advising AMP Capital managed funds on the acquisition of interests in Pacific Fair; on structuring the new fund; and on CPPIB's investment in the fund
- Evans Randall on a cross-border European fund investing in Germany, Holland and Belgium. We have also worked on a range of transactions for Evans Randall including the landmark Gherkin Building in the City of London as well as advising on the acquisition and funding of Milton Gate for £127 million and Drapers Gardens in the City of London for £242.5 million
- Patron Capital on their recent €880 million European real estate fund
- Brockton Capital on its third fundraising, having acted for this UK-focused PERE house on all its previous fundraisings
- Pamfleet Real Estate Fund - establishment of a private equity fund to invest in underperforming or distressed real estate opportunities in Hong Kong and Singapore
- Longbow/IGC on the establishment of a new investment fund to invest in UK senior real estate debt. This involved structuring the fund with particular regard to shadow banking regulation, drafting and negotiating the key contracts drafting the prospectus etc
- Consulting on a Shariah-compliant opportunity fund focussed on Indonesia
- Pacific Alliance Group’s RMB fund - completing the filing with NDRC and its acquisition of interest in the fund manager which is a subsidiary of PAG
- Singapore-based fund managers - acquisition of Charter Hall Core Plus Industrial Fund, the GPT Wholesale Office Fund and the Lend Lease Real Estate Partners NZ Trust
- Orchard Funds – represented the client (an Australian fund also covering hospital infrastructure investment in Australia) in its acquisitions of the retail malls in Xi-an and Changsha.
"Depth of experience - they have the team and the firm - they have been in the industry for many, many years."