Our public sector clients get the best of both worlds
In a market characterised by ever-changing political conditions, our lawyers give you the strategic edge you need to succeed. We offer effective legal advice to government departments and statutory authorities, thanks to our understanding of legislative and policy frameworks and our commercial approach to projects and issues.
Not every law firm understands government and how it works. With our strong presence in Canberra serving the Commonwealth and deep relationships across Australian state and territory governments, we know the public sector through and through.
As a client, you can benefit from the particular expertise we have in:
Governance and Government ‘Mergers & Acquisitions’ (M&A), including:
- Establishing and winding up government entities
- Outsourcing and shared services models
- Employment and work, health and safety law.
Major projects and property, including:
- Infrastructure developments
- Public-private partnerships (PPPs)
- Government property work.
Major inquiries, including:
- Royal commissions
- Class actions
- Judicial reviews.
Government procurement, including:
- Whole-of-government services
- Information and communications technology (ICT)
- Standard procurement and contract suites.
Foreign companies, state-owned entities and sovereign wealth funds looking to invest in Australia call on our specialist legal capabilities in foreign investment policy and our track record of successfully navigating cross-border investments.
We balance public interest and accountability, while providing pragmatic solutions. For example, in probity work, we target our approach to keep the process as straightforward and cost-effective as possible for you.
Show moreShow less
Public and private expertise
As a government sector client, you benefit from same the full spectrum of legal services we offer to corporate clients, as well as services that meet the specific needs of government organisations. And unlike our competitors, our lawyers work with both private and public sector firms.
Our clients include bodies and departments at all levels of government (national, state and local), as well as government-owned companies, agencies and statutory bodies. So we advised Commonwealth of Australia on the scoping study on the options for the future ownership of the Royal Australian Mint. And we also advised Medibank Private Limited on the Commonwealth’s scoping study on its future ownership options and on the prospectus for the Initial Public Offering (IPO).
Our other work highlights in the government and public sector include advising:
- Commonwealth of Australia on instructing solicitors to the Royal Commission into the Home Insulation Program
- Queensland Treasury Corporation on the proposed Queensland Ports asset transaction program
- The Department of Finance on several whole-of-government procurements including the AUS$1+ billion vehicle fleet agreement, travel services and the refresh of the desktop panel
- The Department of Human Services on strategic business transformation services involving procurements including systems integration services to replace Australia’s child support system and associated projects
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation for over 12 years assisting with the MilitarySuper merger, advising on public sector schemes (Commonwealth Superannuation Scheme (CSS) and the Public Sector Superannuation Scheme (PSS)) as well as significant domestic and international investments
- Indigenous Business Australia on establishing of a wholesale investment fund targeted at and designed to facilitate and foster wealth creation for Indigenous Australians
- NSW Department of Commerce on the procurement of the Parramatta Justice Precinct and advising on aboriginal and colonial heritage issues and the Commonwealth’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Northern Territory Government on the development of Darwin’s Marine Supply Base, a purpose-built facility for the offshore oil and gas industry