Areas of practice
Mr. Jinsong Zhang’s area of expertise covers corporate transactions, capital markets, corporate governance, compliance and regulatory reporting matters.
Mr. Zhang has extensive experiences in cross-border mergers and acquisitions across a variety of industries, representing buyers, sellers, special committees, financial advisors and investors in public and private mergers, acquisitions, tender offers, privatizations, spin-offs and joint ventures. Additionally, Mr. Zhang advised Chinese companies in international capital markets transactions, including SEC-registered offerings, private placements pursuant to Rule 144A and listings at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
In recent years, Mr. Zhang focuses on advising Chinese companies and financial institutions on their outbound investments into the U.S.
Mr. Zhang’s representation highlights (including transactions completed prior to joining King & Wood Mallesons) include:
- CITIC Securities in the proposed US$1.65 billion acquisition of Russell Investments;
- Goldstone Investments Co., Ltd in its US$1.9 billion consortium acquisition of OmniVision Technologies, Inc;
- Going-private transactions for Qihoo 360, AsiaInfo, Nuokang Bio-Pharm, Zhongpin, Winner Medical, China TransInfo, China GrenTech, etc.;
- Citigroup in the sale of US$110 million equity interest in North China German Auto Holdings Limited to McLarty Companies;
- CITIC Securities in the proposed US$2 billion cross investment with Bear Stearns;
- CITIC Group and General Electric in the US$295 million tender offer and privatization transactions of Asia Satellite;
- Tom Group, in the HK$1.57 billion privatization of TOM.com;
- Citigroup on the US$3.06 billion consortium acquisition of Guangdong Development Bank;
- CITIC Limited in its US$36 billion “back-door” listing on the HKSE;
- Vipshop Holdings Limited, in its initial public offerings on the NASDAQ;
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China in its US$6.8 billion rights issuance; and
- Deutsche Bank AG and Goldman Sachs (Asia) L.L.C. as sponsors for the US$510 million IPO of Winsway Coking Coal Holdings Limited on HKSE.
Mr. Zhang joined King & Wood Mallesons in 2016. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Zhang was the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer of CITIC Securities USA, overseeing legal and compliance matters for CITIC Securities in the US. Prior to joining CITICS, Mr. Zhang practised at two leading global law firms’ New York, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai offices collectively for about eight years. Prior to that, Mr. Zhang worked as an in-house counsel at China Ping An Insurance Company and then a clerk for the Chief Judge of the United States District Court, Central District of Illinois.
Mr. Zhang received his Juris Doctor degree from Duke University in 2005, his LL.M. degree from Case Western Reserve University in 2002, his LL.B. degree from China University of Political Science and Law in 1997, and completed his coursework at Fudan University's LL.M. program in International Economic Law in 2001. He is qualified to practise law in the PRC and the State of New York. Mr. Zhang also holds Series 7 and Series 24 licenses with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority of the United States. He currently sits on the Duke Law International Advisory Board.
Mr. Zhang's working languages are Chinese and English.