Areas of Practice
Patric McGonigal specialises in alternative dispute resolution, international arbitration, and commercial litigation.
Patric is a senior international disputes lawyer covering a broad range of commercial, international trade & commodities, energy, anti-bribery & corruption, shipping and insurance disputes. Patric has substantial experience in both Europe and Asia having practiced in London for over 10 years and over 12 years in Asia, based in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan. He therefore has genuine multi-jurisdictional and multi-cultural experience and the necessary understanding to be able to assist clients in Asia solve their international claims and disputes in efficient, commercial and business friendly ways.
Patric focuses on advising clients on issues as they arise, assisting with the formulation of strategy, drafting correspondence to ensure the client's position is protected and assisting with negotiation tactics. When disputes arise, he helps clients in case evaluation, negotiation & mediation and, where settlement is not possible, arbitration or court proceedings. Patric is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) and has extensive experience of conducting arbitrations before the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, JCAA, HKIAC, LMAA, FOSFA & GAFTA as well as numerous cases reported from the Commercial Court and Court of Appeal in London.
Recent work includes:
- Advising Japanese trading houses on foreign law governed trade disputes in Singapore, New York and London concerning the sale of coal, iron ore, calcined pitch coke, steel, soybeans, veg oil, rice and other commodities.
- Representing a Japanese power company in AAA arbitration in New York concerning a CDM related documentary credit dispute involving South American sellers
- Acting for US manufacturers in SIAC arbitration in Singapore in defending a claim concerning an exclusive international distribution agreement
- Participating in a comprehensive review of the UK Bribery Act by the Japanese Government
- Advising a Japanese trading company on a shipbuilding dispute with a Chinese yard
- Advising a Chinese logistics company on various English law charterparty disputes
- Representing a Japanese contractor in an Indian law governed ICC arbitration in Singapore relating to the construction of LNG storage tanks in India
- Acting for a Japanese trading house in expedited JCAA arbitration against a Korean chemicals buyer
Patric has been recognised by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 Asia Pacific in their shortlist of Key Individuals for many years with client testimony including:
"KEY INDIVIDUALS: Patric McGonigal is at the center of the burgeoning dispute practice, and is described by clients as "accessible, astute, well informed, to the point and amenable." (Chambers)
“..practice head Patric McGonigal is highly respected in the field and ‘his knowledge of dispute resolution and the strategies of ICC arbitrations is absolutely excellent’” (Legal 500 Asia-Pacific)
Solicitor, England & Wales